Call for the Mercatus Center’s MA Fellowship Program (Fully Funded) 2024 is open now!!!
The Mercatus MA Fellowship is a two-year, competitive, full-time fellowship program for students pursuing a master’s degree in economics at George Mason University who are interested in gaining an advanced degree in applied economics in preparation for a career in public policy.
Applications for the 2024-2025 academic year are due February 15, 2024.
The Mercatus Center’s MA Fellowship program is targeted towards students with an interest in gaining advanced training in economics, but who do not anticipate a career in academia. Students who anticipate working in public policy jobs in research, communications or outreach are ideal candidates for this fellowship.
MA Fellows can pursue skills that prepare them for a career in public policy, including policy research, strategic communications, outreach, and project management. All fellows are required to take courses towards an MA in economics from George Mason University, and are encouraged to take electives in courses that further their expertise in conducting and communicating economic analysis of public policy issues. In addition, fellows attend readings groups and career development workshops and spend at least 20 hours a week working with Mercatus scholars and staff. Fellows will join a network of Mercatus students, alumni, and scholars who are conducting and engaging with cutting-edge research in contemporary political economy.
MA Fellows have the opportunity to work as research assistants and coauthors with Mercatus scholars on pertinent policy areas such as regulations, federal fiscal policy, financial markets, monetary policy, technology policy, state and local policy, trade and immigration, healthcare and the study of American capitalism. Fellows will work with established scholars that have the academic credentials as well as professional experience that makes them leading experts on public policy issues. MA Fellows will also have the opportunity to work with Mercatus scholars and staff to learn how to promote, disseminate, and translate economic analysis through written products, video production, media, and podcasts.
- The total award of up to $80,000 (over two years) includes:
- A monthly stipend
- Full tuition support (nine credits per semester)
- Practical experience conducting and disseminating research with Mercatus scholars and staff on pertinent policy issues
- In order to be accepted into the MA Fellowship program, the applicant must either be:
- Enrolled in Mason’s MA program in Economics
- Applying to Mason’s MA program in Economics
- If the applicant is not already enrolled in Mason’s MA program in Economics, please complete the standard application for fall admission and indicate on the application that the applicant would like to be considered for funding.
The online application includes:
- A 1-2 page cover letter explaining:
- The applicant’s research interests and current projects,
- The applicant’s familiarity with Mason and Mercatus scholars and their research, and
- What the applicant hopes to get out of the program.
- A current resume/CV
- A 500-1000 word essay on “Why do some societies prosper, while others remain stagnant and poor?”
- A 10-page writing sample that demonstrates the applicant’s writing and research skills
- A few short answer questions
Application Deadline: February 15, 2024Application ClosedOfficial link