The International Astronomy and Astrophysics Competition gives the unique opportunity to show knowledge and astronomy skills! The IAAC is an online astronomy competition for students from all countries.
The International Astronomy and Astrophysics Competition is an international science competition that enables students from all countries to prove their skills and unleashes their creativity in the fields of astronomy and astrophysics. IAAC gives you the unique opportunity to apply your skills to challenging problems. Participants can receive certificates, awards, cash prizes, and global recognition.
The International Astronomy and Astrophysics Competition is a great way to sharpen the mind of students, give them motivation, and challenge them with creative astronomy and astrophysics problems. The problems can be used as homework or project work as well: The competition includes various topics and difficulties. Furthermore, teachers and schools may use IAAC competitions for after-school classes or workshops. The problems will inspire students to get engaged with science and will provide a unique opportunity for talented students to challenge their skills.
Astronomy is an outstanding scientific subject that has inspired us humans for thousands of years: The International Astronomy and Astrophysics Competition gives students the opportunity to challenge their astronomy knowledge in a friendly competition and – by participating – to learn more about this interesting subject. IAAC has the aim to be accessible to all students from all countries regardless of their background. Furthermore, the IAAC uses today’s technologies and the global connection through the internet to make this competition possible. Astronomy is a great motivation for students to get in touch with science and to start a professional career as a researcher or engineer.
Some unique features of IAAC are:
- Internationality: IAAC is a global competition from the first round! All participants solve the same problems in every round: This enables a fair evaluation and international exchange.
- Online Submission: The competition uses the possibilities of the modern world to allow all students to participate regardless of nation, region, school, or affiliation. Every student may participate independently – there is no affiliation of your school or teacher to IAAC required to participate in this competition.
- Research Problems: The pre-final round includes two research problem types. They require participants to get in touch with real scientific research papers and learn about recent scientific results to solve the problems. They encourage students for more advanced science and give them insights into actual research material.
- Teacher Support and Online Tools: We supply teachers and schools with additional materials and an online teacher interface that allows teachers to make better use of IAAC problems in class. We also generate performance reports for each individual student.
- English Proficiency: Solid skills in the English language are essential for an academic career. The competition problems help students to get in touch with scientific vocabulary and expressions.
- Participation certificate for all participants
- The best students receive the 1. prize, 2. prize, and 3. prize with a cash award of 150 USD, 100 USD, and 50 USD (both for the youth and junior categories)
- A special national award to honor excellence for the most outstanding participants from each country
- Special school awards and awards for ambassadors
- A high school or university student
- There are two age categories:
- Junior: under 18 years
- Youth: over 18 years
Eligible Regions: Open for All
- Applicants can find the IAAC qualification round 2023 with the five astronomy problems available at https://iaac.space/en/
- Applicants have to submit their solutions at https://iaac.space/en/submission to successfully apply for the pre-final round
- Applicants have to score at least 15 points (junior, under 18 years) or 20 points (youth, over 18 years) to qualify for the pre-final round
Application Deadline: April 21, 2023Application ClosedOfficial link