Now in its 34th year, CASW’s Evert Clark/Seth Payne Award was created to recognize the contributions to journalism of both Ev Clark and Seth Payne .The award is intended to encourage young science writers by recognizing outstanding reporting and writing in any field of science. The 2023 winner will receive $1,000 and expenses to attend the ScienceWriters2023 conference to receive the award.
The award is given in memory of Ev Clark, a veteran journalist at Business Week, The New York Times and Newsweek, and Seth Payne, his long-time friend and colleague at Business Week and a founder of the award. It is designed to carry on the work of both men, who offered friendship and advice to generations of young journalists. We welcome donations to the Evert Clark Fund.
Submissions are judged by a panel of science writers and scientists selected by CASW and the award is presented at the annual Science Writers meeting along with other awards given by CASW and the National Association of Science Writers.
The award is limited to non-technical, print and online journalism. Articles published in newspapers (including college newspapers), magazines, newsletters and websites are eligible. Both freelancers and staff writers are eligible. (Books, as well as articles in technical journals and trade association publications are not eligible).Science writing includes, but is not limited to, writing in the biological, physical, environmental, computer, and space sciences, along with technology, mathematics, health and science policy. Entries will be judged on the basis of accuracy, clarity, insightfulness, fairness, resourcefulness, and timeliness.
Applicants may submit a single article or series, or up to four individual pieces. Articles must be published between July 1, 2022 and June 30, 2023, but an entire series will be accepted if most parts are published between those dates. Applications may be submitted by the author or on the author’s behalf. All entries must be submitted in English.
- The 2023 winner will receive $1,000 and
- Will expenses to attend the Science Writers 2023 conference to receive the award.
- Applicants must be age 30 or younger.
- The 2023 award will be limited to those applicants whose 31st birthday is July 1, 2023 or later.
- Articles must be published between July 1, 2022 and June 30, 2023.
Eligible Regions: Open for all
- Applications for the 2023 award will be accepted beginning January 1, 2023. Entries must be submitted online through Submittable and received by JUNE 30, 2023.
- Applicants may submit a single article or series, or up to four individual pieces.
- Articles must be published between July 1, 2022 and June 30, 2023, an entire series will be accepted if most parts are published between those dates. Applications may be submitted by the author or on the author’s behalf.
- All entries must be submitted in English.
Application Deadline: June 30, 2023Application ClosedOfficial link