The Inspiring Women in Science awards celebrate and support the achievements of women in science, and all those who work to encourage girls and young women to engage with STEM subjects and stay in STEM careers around the world.
We invite applications in two award categories — Science Outreach and Scientific Achievement.
The scope of the awards reflects two award categories, that describe the work they recognise – Science Outreach and Scientific Achievement.The aim of the awards, in partnership with The Estée Lauder Companies, is to celebrate and support the achievements of women in science, and of all those who work to encourage girls and young women to engage with STEM subjects and who work to support women to stay in STEM careers around the world. STEM includes natural sciences, technology, engineering, mathematics and medicine.
The Nature Awards for Inspiring Women in Science – Science Outreach Category, is presented for initiatives that support girls or young women to engage with, enjoy and study STEM subjects OR to increase the retention of women in STEM careers. STEM includes natural sciences, technology, engineering, mathematics and medicine. These initiatives can be run by an individual or academic, educational, charitable, governmental or corporate entity. In the case of corporate entities, the initiatives should form part of a corporate social responsibility programme and not be part of core commercial operations.
The Nature Awards for Inspiring Women in Science – Scientific Achievement Category, recognizes early-career women researchers. The successful applicant will have made an exceptional demonstrable contribution to scientific discovery, and may have faced significant challenges, personal or professional. The applicant will also exhibit the potential for developing and leading an independent research group. We are also keen that applicants have made efforts to inspire the next generation of scientists through outreach or support the retention of women in science careers.
- A prize of US$50,000
- An invitation to the award ceremony in London, with accommodation and travel expenses paid by the organiser. In the event that it is not possible or advisable to hold such a ceremony, an alternative virtual presentation or acknowledgement will be arranged.
- Coverage on nature.com
- An invitation to present their work or initiative to the scientists at The Estée Lauder Companies
- Mentoring through The Estée Lauder Companies
- The shortlisted applicants will be profiled on the Nature Award website and
- Have access to an exclusive mentoring and networking community site
- Applicants must self-identify as women. We use an inclusive definition of ‘woman’ and ‘women’. We welcome trans women, genderqueer and non-binary people.
- Applicants must hold a PhD degree or a medical degree, or other type of doctorate by dissertation. A PhD or doctorate by dissertation is a globally recognized postgraduate academic degree awarded by a university or higher education institution to a person who has submitted a thesis or dissertation, based on extensive and original research in their chosen field.
- Applicants must be within 10 years of completing their PhD degree or medical degree, or other type of doctorate by dissertation:
- Completion of their PhD (or medical degree) is defined as the date the PhD (or medical degree) or doctorate by dissertation was approved by the institutional panel following submission of their dissertation and/or oral examination. It is not the date of their graduation.
- The abovementioned 10 years will be extended by any maternity leave(s) or other relevant leaves of absence. Thus, the 10 years do not need to be continuous. Details of these absences will need to be specified during the application process.
- If applicants hold both a PhD and a medical degree, the graduation date of the most recently awarded will be used.
- Applicants must hold a non-tenured position. This includes those who have non-permanent postdoctoral and/or non-permanent tenure-track positions (or equivalents such as proleptic lecturer positions). Those in a tenured position (or equivalents, such as permanent lecturer position) are not eligible to apply.
- We accept applications from those working in natural sciences, technology, engineering, mathematics and medicine. We also welcome applications that include an interdisciplinary component.
Eligible Regions: Open for all
- You will need to create a free Submittable account in order to submit to these forms. Here is a quick guide on how to get started: https://submittable.help/submitters/making-new-submissions/how-do-i-submit
- You can save a draft of your work if you would like to finish filling out the form at a later date.
- We will follow-up with you about your submission by email. Please be sure the email address you used to sign up for your Submittable Account is one that you check regularly.
- Please reach out to Submittable’s Customer Support team with any technical questions at [email protected]
Application Deadline: May 8, 2023 (48 Days Remaining)Apply nowOfficial link