Applications for the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program 2023 are now open.
The University of Cape Town (UCT) has partnered with the Mastercard Foundation in its global Scholars’ Program: an educational initiative that provides academically talented young people from economically disadvantaged communities in Africa with access to quality university education.
The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at UCT provides full-cost scholarships to young Africans who are first-time undergraduate or postgraduate (honors and master’s) degree-seeking applicants. The scholarships ensure a premium educational package that will produce graduates whose qualifications are internationally recognized and locally applicable, and whose transition into the workforce is underpinned by values of engaged citizenship and social justice.
These scholarships cover the full period of study and are renewable annually subject to satisfactory performance and participation in the activities and opportunities offered by the program. Successful candidates will be required to commit themselves to returning to their home countries and to invest their gained skills and education in their country’s social and economic growth.
The Mastercard Foundation seeks a world where everyone has the opportunity to learn and prosper. The Foundation’s work is guided by its mission to advance learning and promote financial inclusion for people living in poverty. One of the largest foundations in the world, it works almost exclusively in Africa. It was created in 2006 by Mastercard International and operates independently under the governance of its own board of directors. The Foundation is based in Toronto, Canada.
The University of Cape Town is a world-class institution. UCT has six campuses, including Upper, Middle, and Lower campuses; Hiddingh Campus; the Health Sciences Campus; and the Breakwater Campus, which has a newly established satellite facility in Phillippi.
UCT has the vision is to be an inclusive, research-intensive African university that addresses the challenges of our time with cutting-edge teaching, research, and facilities. As a university, UCT is committed to promoting transformation, working tirelessly to guarantee the sustainability of the institution, and ensuring excellence in all it does.
UCT has a proud tradition of academic excellence and is currently the top-rated university in Africa and one of the top-rated universities in the world. The researchers continue to help with the creation of African-based solutions to global problems, including issues relating to climate change, urbanization, safety and security, education, and health, to name just a few.
- Comprehensive financial assistance with visa applications, travel, tuition, living expenses, medical aid, and accommodation will be provided by the scholarship.
- The opportunity of a relevant and recognized education through academic curricula aimed at producing graduates whose qualifications are internationally recognized and locally applicable.
- Academic and peer mentor support to ensure successful academic progress.
- The opportunity of an array of cultural and transition support and training.
- Career and internship opportunities in Africa, service learning, experiential learning, career guidance, and support for transition to further study or the workforce.
- The opportunity for leadership development and training.
- The opportunity of access to the alumni networks for further support.
- Must be academically talented value learning and be driven to complete their education.
- Must be economically disadvantaged and facing significant financial barriers to completing their education.
- Committed to giving back and investing in their communities, and using the skills and knowledge that they have acquired.
- Committed to embracing ethical leadership and making a positive change in their home communities.
- In order to apply for The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program, applicants must first apply to the University of Cape Town for academic study and placement.
- After applying at UCT, applicants will need to visit The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program on The University of Cape Town website to apply and click the ‘APPLY’ button image which will direct the applicant to the online scholarship application form.
- Applicants will need to log in to SM Apply using a unique email address and password.
- To access the postgraduate application form for a Mastercard Foundation scholarship, applicants will need to complete the eligibility quiz of The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program.
- Applicants will have to insert the details of two (2) academics, who have taught or supervised the applicant during secondary and/or tertiary level of study, to support the scholarship application.
- Applicants will have to complete the scholarship application form, in full, online to complete the application process.
- The reference must be provided directly by the recommenders who have agreed to provide references.
Application Deadline: March 31, 2023 (10 Days Remaining)Apply nowOfficial link