The Asian American Journalists Association Asia Chapter (AAJA-Asia)’s N3COnU Mentorship Program is a unique opportunity for students to develop reporting skills under the mentorship of industry professionals. A cohort of 10 students will participate in a series of training and will get to write stories covering the journalism industry and underrepresented communities in the Asia Pacific region. Top stories will be published on the website of AAJA-Asia’s New.Now.Next Media Conference (N3Con) 2023. Students and mentors selected for the program will receive complimentary registration to attend the N3Con 2023 conference on May 25-28 in Singapore.
AAJA’s vision for diversity in media
The Asian American Journalists Association (AAJA) is a membership, nonprofit educational and professional organization with more than 1,500 members across the United States and Asia. It is committed to advancing diversity in newsrooms and ensuring fair and accurate coverage of communities of color, with four main strategic goals:
- To provide a means of association and support among Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) journalists, and to advance their careers within the U.S. Media.
- To provide encouragement, information, advice, and scholarship assistance to AAPI students who aspire to professional journalism careers.
- To provide to the AAPI community with an awareness of news media and an understanding of how to gain fair access.
- To research and point out when news media organizations stray from accuracy and fairness in the coverage of Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders and AAPI issues.
AAJA-Asia’s extended mission
AAJA’s Asia Chapter is open to all media professionals and students who strive for diversity, inclusion, and editorial excellence in the Asia Pacific region. It upholds AAJA’s core values and goals and extends its mission’s scope beyond the strict boundaries of the AAPI community and US Media to all journalists and news organizations operating in this region. AAJA-Asia strives to:
- Advanced diversity (of gender, race, social class, and age) and inclusion in media organizations
- Support students interested in journalism
- Advocate for fair media access
- Support a diverse community of local and international multimedia journalists, media professionals, and advocates for a vibrant press in the Asia Pacific region.
- This a unique opportunity for students to develop reporting skills under the mentorship of industry professionals.
- Students and mentors selected for the program will receive complimentary registration to attend the N3Con 2023 conference on May 25-28 in Singapore.
- If you are a student with an interest in journalism studying in the Asia Pacific region: This is your opportunity to enrich your CV with reporting training sessions and a story that you will write under the guidance of a professional journalist. You will also get a chance to get your story published on the N3Con.com website, a platform regularly viewed by news media professionals from across the region.
- If you are a journalist working in the Asia Pacific region. This is your chance to hone your editing skills, provide encouragement and guidance and help the next generation of professional reporters to blossom.
- If you are a student with an interest in journalism studying in the Asia Pacific region.
- If you are a journalist working in the Asia Pacific region.
Apply via the application link.
Application Deadline: April 7, 2023Application ClosedOfficial link