SWP offers a limited number of three-month full-time internships for highly motivated students. They are particularly interested in attracting young academics in political science and related social sciences (economics, law, administration, occasionally also regional studies, ethnology, or journalism).
Interns are based at offices in Berlin-Wilmersdorf.
The work undertaken by interns includes:
- Assisting with all tasks within the research division, especially research projects, and producing documentation and background reports for research division members,
- Preparing reports of conferences and meetings,
- Literature research,
- Editing academic texts, researching and evaluating materials, helping to prepare meetings and conferences,
- General administrative tasks.
The Stiftung Wissenschaft und Politik in Berlin is a civil-law foundation and the founding institution behind the German Institute for International and Security Affairs. It advises the Bundestag and the federal government on foreign and security policy issues.
Deadlines for applications
- June 30th, 2020 (for an internship starting at the earliest in September 2020)
- September 30th, 2020 (for an internship starting at the earliest in January 2021)
- Interns at SWP receive €300 per month.
- Exceptions are only possible where the internship is already funded by another public or private organisation.
- SWP accepts students at the following stages:
- Students already studying for a master’s degree (also Hauptstudium in the German Magister/Staatsexamen/Diplom system).
- Holders of bachelor’s degrees who can demonstrate they are applying for a place on a master’s degree course and who expect to be regular master’s students at the time proposed for the internship.
- Holders of bachelor’s/master’s degrees who are enrolled on an additional bachelor’s or master’s degree course.
- For an internship you should have at least the following qualifications:
- Very good knowledge of English (written and spoken),
- Good end-user IT skills (Word, Excel, web browsers),
- Your own ideas about what you wish to achieve during the internship,
- Interest in policy consultation and communication,
- Commitment, ambition, teamwork and social skills.
- The research divisions also have their own specific requirements. Please check the official website for more details.
Please send your application for an internship to Human Resources at SWP. They can only accept complete applications with the application form and all required documents. The application form requires the following information:
- Type of internship:
- Mandatory: Required component of a course of study or training at a state-recognised institution.
- Voluntary: For persons in vocational training or university education. You are not eligible if you have already done an internship of this type at a German federal government agency.
- Your preferred three-month period. You may also indicate several periods, but please note the relevant application deadlines and the minimum duration of three months for an internship.
- Research division – please name only one.
- Your preferred researcher (for profiles see researchers)
- Download the application form from the Ally Now link.
- Your application must also include the following documents:
- Motivational letter (maximum one page),
- For a mandatory internship: confirmation that the internship is a formal requirement, including required duration (copy of relevant passage from degree regulations or letter from university),
- Bachelor’s degree certificate (or evidence of completion of Grundstudium for Magister/Diplom/Staatsexamen students),
- Interim and leaving certificates,
- References, work references (if available) (copies),
- Valid confirmation of student status (copy) or university confirmation of application for a place on a master’s degree course (original, must include expected enrolment date),
- Residence permit (non-EU/EEA applicants, copy),
- If a public or private body has awarded funding for your internship, please supply documentation (including amount).
- Please send your application form and all necessary documents in one summarized PDF file by e-mail to bewerbungen(at)swp-berlin.org.
Application Deadline: September 30, 2020Application ClosedOfficial link