Application for Youth4Regions – the programme for aspiring journalists 2021 is open! Apply now!
Youth4Regions is the European Commission programme helping journalism students and young journalists to discover what the EU is doing in their region. The European Commission’s Directorate-General for Regional and Urban Policy (DG REGIO) wishes to encourage journalism students and young journalists to learn about Regional Policy and to communicate on European solidarity and concrete projects co-funded by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) and the Cohesion Fund (CF). The specific objectives include:
- Providing the framework and conditions for young and future journalists to specialize in EU Regional Policy
- Fostering young journalistic productions to promote knowledge of EU-funded projects (ERDF and CF)
- Promoting innovative means of covering the European Week of Regions and Cities
- Enhancing the links between European institutions and young Europeans
In total 33 places are available: one for each EU Member State and the United Kingdom, and five places for EU neighbouring countries. In the case where not sufficient applications of good quality are received from a Member State, the European Commission reserves the right to make that position available for another country. All 33 successful applicants will be invited to Brussels to attend the Youth4Regions Programme during the EU Regions’ Week (10 – 15 October 2021), for which the European Commission will cover travel and accommodation. The organisers will ensure that appropriate sanitary conditions are in place at that moment.
The programme includes training on journalism and EU affairs, mentorship from established journalists, visits of media organisations and EU institutions, as well European Commission certified work experience as journalists covering the EU Regions’ Week. Upon completion of the programme, the participants become part of the Youth4Regions Alumni network.
The European Commission will select the two winners of the 2021 Megalizzi – Niedzielski prize for aspiring journalists from among the 33 selected participants based on their entries in the competition and their commitment to European journalism. The Megalizzi –Niedzielski prize honours the memory of Antonio Megalizzi and Barto Pedro Orient-Niedzielski, young European journalists with a strong attachment to the EU and its values, who passed away after a terrorist attack in Strasbourg in late 2018.
- Degree of originality (a new story or an unusual angle)
- The extent to which they are compelling (catch the interest of the reader)
- The extent to which they demonstrate a rigorous approach in terms of research and fieldwork
The programme is offering:
- Trainings on journalism and EU regional policy
- The chance to receive mentorship from established journalists from your country
- Working side by side with renowned journalists during the EU Regions’ Week
- Visits of EU affairs media headquarters and EU institutions
- The unique opportunity to take part as a journalist in European Commission press trips to Member States
- Accommodation and travel expenses covered by the European Commission
The call for applications is open to any person that fulfils all of the following conditions:
- Interest in what EU regional policy is doing in your region
- Background in journalism (studies or up to 2 years of experience)
- Is a citizen of an EU Member State or an EU neighbouring country
- Is between 18 and 30 years old
- Availability during 10 – 15 October 2021
- Has not participated in previous editions of the Youth4Regions Programme
In order to apply, potential participants must send a short article (2500 – 6250 characters) or a short video report (2 – 3 minutes) covering a project co-financed by the European Union (European Regional Development Fund or Cohesion Fund). (3) The article or short video must cover one of the following topics:
- Fair Europe: Cohesion policy for a just transition to climate neutrality
- Green Europe: Cohesion policy for intermodal mobility
- Cohesion for Recovery: Overcoming the pandemic together
- Europe close to the citizens: Youth engagement
To apply please click on Apply Now and follow the instructions afterwards.
Application Deadline: July 12, 2021 (58 Days Remaining)Apply nowOfficial link