Accepting application for the 2024 Summer Student Program at HZDR!
The Helmholtz-Zentrum Dresden-Rossendorf (HZDR) conducts cutting-edge research with a long-term focus in the fields of energy, health and matter. HZDR delivers solutions to the great challenges of our time and see it as the task of HZDR to provide knowledge and technology for the next generations.
The HZDR provides the opportunity to join HDZR research groups and take part in their activities every summer from July to September. Through this programme, HZDR supports the advancement of multidisciplinary and international scientific research. HZDR is persuaded that integrative knowledge has a synergistic effect.
Students in the natural sciences and allied fields who would want to work with Helmholtz-Zentrum Dresden-Rossendorf (HZDR) research teams in Dresden during the months of July through September are the target audience for our summer student programme. International applicants for master’s and diploma programmes are accepted.
The HZDR conducts a wide range of research, offering students the rare chance to work in the physical and biological sciences while concentrating on fundamental or application-driven research or technology development. Research groups will be significantly impacted by summer students. The summer students will be given objectives that involve practical lab work related to data analysis, scientific computer, and theoretical science. It’s a great chance to learn about the daily workings of science.
Students joining the summer program will have the opportunity to learn about scientific work in the fields of:
- computer science
The language of communication in the workplace will be English. Helmholtz-Zentrum Dresden-Rossendorf (HZDR) anticipates that candidates will speak and write English well. The length of time that students will spend at HZDR can be decided upon by them and their supervisors. Six weeks is the minimum stay duration and nine weeks is the maximum. Drawing from past years’ experiences, Helmholtz-Zentrum Dresden-Rossendorf (HZDR) suggest an eight-week stay. Attendance is required for the entire lecture period, which runs from July 29, 2024, to August 30, 2024.
The quality of the applicant’s resume, academic standing, and the substance of a recommendation letter from a university professor, group leader, or scientist who can assess the applicant’s performance and accomplishments will all be taken into consideration when choosing the participants. Acceptance or rejection notifications will be sent by email once the selection has been made (no later than the middle of April 2024).
The students will receive the following scientific and financial benefits:
- Scientific lectures (between end of July and end of August 2024)
- Individual discussions and meetings with their supervisor
- Feedback about their overall performance at the end of the program
- Free accommodation during the whole stay
- A grant of 36,-€ per day (enough to cover everyday expenses)
- Travel insurance and bus tickets
- You are a master’s or Diploma student of natural sciences (physical or life sciences) or related studies.
- You should hold a Bachelor degree. In the case of diploma degree programs, you need to have a confirmation of passing the third year of studies before the upcoming summer.
- You can prove a good academic performance through your grades and a letter of recommendation written by a scientist who knows you and your work and is in the position to evaluate it.
- You must have a valid university enrollment covering the whole period of the program (student ID).
- You have good knowledge of the English language in order to take part in all activities of the program.
- Applicants already holding a master’s degree but not being student of a different master course as well as PhD students are not eligible for the program.
- Students who had a contract at HZDR one year before first of July of the targeted year are not eligible for the summer student program.
- Visit the Apply link by clicking on the “APPLY NOW” button which will direct you to the application form.
- Fill out the application form.
When filling out the application form, please:
- Enter the required information about yourself and your education.
- Rank the proposed research fields according to your priorities. You can also exclude fields, but be aware that the more fields you exclude, the lower your chances of being accepted.
- Select the kind of work you would prefer to do (experimental including data processing, theoretical including programming).
- Specify the period of time you are available. Please notice that we expect you to stay for at least 6 weeks and 9 weeks at most. Your presence during the lecture period from 29 July to 30 August is obligatory (core time). We will not make any exception.
- Upload a Curriculum Vitae in English.
- Upload a copy of your academic grades/records in English or with english translation.
- Upload a copy of your student ID.
- You will receive a link where a professor or senior scientist can upload a letter of recommendation. Please make sure, that we receive the letter before the deadline. Please provide the letter in English or with english translation.
Application Deadline: February 23, 2024Application ClosedOfficial link