The world is full of unknown architectural marvels and one-of-a-kind events that contribute to our rich religious history. If you enjoy photography, this is your chance to share your work with a passionate community of historical enthusiasts and win a prize.
The organisation Future for Religious Heritage (FRH) was established in 2011 with the goal of preserving Europe’s rich and varied religious heritage. With more than 170 members in more than 35 countries, it is the sole independent, non-religious, and nonprofit network of charities, conservation departments of governmental, religious, and academic institutions, and other professionals working to safeguard religious heritage structures throughout Europe. By uniting organisations and individuals into a pan-European network, FRH works to ensure the promotion and preservation of Europe’s religious heritage. It also participates in forums and advocacy networks to represent religious heritage to key decision-makers.
Each year, the FRH Photo Competition honours the top 10 images depicting the religious legacy of Europe and the rest of the globe. FRH received 260 excellent photos in 2022 from amateur and professional photographers in more than 30 different nations. There are countless undiscovered religious architectural marvels, intriguing treasures, and distinctive festivals throughout the world. FRH asks for your assistance in showcasing the excellence and diversity of European religious heritage!
All the entries will be evaluated by a jury composed of expert photographers, artists and representatives of FRH that is expected to meet the first week of December. The judges will select the three best photos of each category. The jury will select the best photos and videos on the basis of their content, creativity, aesthetics, and technique demonstrated by the author. From these, one will be chosen as the overall winner and the other eight will be finalists.
Specific event dates:
Submissions: from 27 June to 30 November 2023
Jury’s meeting: first week of December 2023 Announcement of the winner
and 8 finalists: second week of December 2023
Awards ceremony: 2024 FRH Conference (location and date to be confirmed)
- The winner will be invited to the 2024 FRH Conference (location and date to be confirmed).
- All costs to attend the 2024 FRH Conference covered up to a maximum of 1,000€.
- Finalists will be welcome to participate in the conference at their own cost.
- The photos of the winner and finalists will be compiled in a booklet that FRH will promote throughout Europe.
The contest is open to everyone regardless of their nationality and whether they are professional photographers or not.Eligible Regions: Open for All.
- There are three categories:
- Religious Buildings (photos with a building or group of buildings as the main element),
- Artefacts (photos with objects related to religious heritage as the main element) and
- People and Events (photos in which people or the festivity are the protagonists.)
- Each participant can submit up to three photos per category. Submitted photographs must meet the following requirements:
- Format: JPEG or PNG
- Minimum resolution: 1030 x 700 px
- Landscape or portrait
- Make sure it is sharp and not blurred
- Submit your photographs in the official submission form/ apply link provided with the informations:
- A title for the photo
- Location & Date of the photo
- Name, Nationality, Email address and Phone number.
Note: By participating in this contest you give your consent for FRH to use the submitted photos in the network’s not-for-profit communications including the website, promotional materials, etc. FRH understands that any content submitted to the competition complies with copyright and privacy regulations and that the submitter holds full responsibility for any future liabilities.
Application Deadline: November 30, 2023Application ClosedOfficial link