AfWA is awarding research scholarships to African Young Water and Sanitation Professionals.
As part of its Capacity-Building Program for African stakeholders in the water, sanitation, and hygiene sector (AfriCap) funded by USAID, the African Water Association is awarding research scholarships to African Young Water and Sanitation Professionals. Target beneficiaries are master students and engineers in the final year of their training. Each scholarship, with a maximum value of USD 1,000 (one thousand US dollars), will make it possible to carry out research work sanctioned by a scientific report on a theme related to the WASH sector.
During the 2016-2017, 2017-2018, and 2018-2019 academic years, AfWA awarded sixty (60) scholarships to students from eleven (11) countries in West and Central Africa. Other scholarships will be awarded across Africa for a period of three years (2021-2024). For the 2021-2022 academic year, fifteen (15) scholarships have been awarded to students from 13 countries. For the academic year 2022-2023, other fifteen (15) scholarships will be awarded across Africa.
Candidates for the scholarship program will formulate their research topics in relation to one of the themes proposed in this call for applications. They will also be able to apply to one of the research topics proposed by one of the members of AfWA. Topics will be available on the AfWA website.
The following themes were selected for this scholarship program for the 2022-2023 academic year:
- Approaches to reducing Non-Revenue Water in water utilities
- Improved Water Quality Control
- Water services in low-income urban areas
- Improvement of urban and peri-urban sanitation
- ICT use (Digitalization) in water and sanitation services
- Water resources management
- Water, sanitation, and gender.
Students receiving the AfWA grant will be required to regularly prepare and submit a monthly report on the status of their work and a final report at the end of the project. The list of successful candidates will be published on the AfWA website: www.afwa-hq.org and each beneficiary will receive an official notification from AfWA.
- The maximum amount allocated per recipient is US $ 1,000. Sixty percent (60%) of this amount will be paid to the recipient once the detailed plan of the research project is finalized, approved by the research supervisor, and received by AfWA Research and Capacity Building Program Coordinator.
- The remaining forty percent (40%) shall be paid once the recipient submits the electronic version of their final research report.
To apply, applicants must fulfill the following requirements:
- Be a citizen of a sub-Saharan African country eligible for USAID funding.
- Be in good standing academically with respect to their institution.
- Submit an application file.
Applicants must submit their application electronically at the following addresses simultaneously: [email protected] and [email protected]
To apply, applicants must submit an application file including:
- Student card or registration receipt for the current year
- Last completed degree
- Curriculum vitae (3 pages max)
- Three recommendation letters (one should be from the academic supervisor)
- The research proposal form is to be downloaded from the AfWA website (afwa-hq.org).
Application Deadline: April 15, 2023 (21 Days Remaining)Apply nowOfficial link