Finance Uncovered is delighted to invite applications from journalists, campaigners and academics from around the world who would like to attend their five-day financial investigative journalism and digital security training course in London, UK.
To get more exciting opportunities like this, at your fingertips, install the Youth Opportunities Mobile App here from your cellphone.
Over three days, you will be shown how to investigate corporate accounts, offshore activity and corporate corruption. They will show you where to find documents, how to analyse them and other practical tools to help uncover financial secrecy. They will also demonstrate how you can secure those involved in your investigation by improving your risk assessment and security skills. A combination of hands-on training and guidance from senior practitioners will give you the basis to investigate financial corruption as well as offering the opportunity to network with other journalists and activists. Class instructions will take place in English.
Please check the official link for more details. Apply now!
- The course aims to help participants understand:
- The building blocks of the offshore world
- How to access and interpret company accounts
- Where to access other company information
- The methodology behind the ground-breaking tax avoidance investigations by the journalists who conducted them
- How to investigate and report corruption stories
- How to track the international policy agenda relating to illicit financial flows
- How to keep your research safe
- The second section of the training, Free Press Unlimited will focus on advanced digital security techniques, including encryption, secure communication and methods to stay “under the radar” during investigations. This will cover:
- Device security, how to keep one’s equipment secure
- Online security, how to safely operate online
- Mobile security, how to safely use digital equipment on-the-road, including telephones and other devices
- Social media security, how to safely use social media for research and publication
- Bursaries are available for working journalists and activists who are based in Africa, Asia and Europe. Bursaries cover: visa fees, travel and accommodation.
- Open to journalists, campaigners and academics from all around the world.
- Applicants do not necessarily need to be an expert in finance or financial journalism.
- Journalist applicants will be selected based on their track record in investigative journalism.
- For activists and academics, please demonstrate your experience as an investigative researcher and/or an economic justice campaigner.
- Apply online through the given link.
- Please do not copy and paste entire articles into the form.
- Provide links or a few lines summary of the article plus date of publication where possible.
- Choose no more than six examples of your work.
- Successful participants will be informed by Thursday, July 25, 2019.
Application Deadline: July 22, 2019Application ClosedOfficial link