Welcome to the 2022 YSEALI Regional Workshop on Civic Education for Good Governance!
The U.S. Embassy in the Philippines, in partnership with Cultural Vistas, will host the 2022 YSEALI Regional Workshop: Guardians of Good Governance. This fully-funded workshop will include young leaders working on civic education to promote civic participation, good governance, and transparency and accountability in government in ten ASEAN nations and Timor-Leste. The experience will consist of pre-workshop virtual activities offering background on civic education theory, lifelong learning, and best practices in digital engagement strategies; a four-day workshop in Manila, Philippines; and post-workshop virtual engagement to support the implementation of post-workshop activities. The goal is for participants to develop a deep understanding of how their efforts can promote citizen engagement in their home communities, nations, and across the region.
Topic and Themes
Introduction to practices and resources to support lifelong learning.
- Equitable Community Engagement Toolkit
An overview of the elements found in an Equitable Community Engagement Toolkit, an introduction to case studies of civic education projects/campaigns that resulted in good governance practices, and an introduction to important elements and best practices that lead to a successful outcome.
- Project-based Learning
Understanding of project-based learning to envision ways to reach deep into the communities to engage a diverse set of stakeholders.
- Development for Campaigns
Guidance in the development of digital education and engagement campaigns for civic education projects and campaigns
- The workshop will include young leaders working on civic education to promote civic participation, good governance, and transparency and accountability in government in ten ASEAN nations and Timor-Leste.
- The experience will consist of pre-workshop virtual activities offering background on civic education theory, lifelong learning, and best practices in digital engagement strategies
- A four-day fully funded workshop in Manila
- Post-workshop virtual engagement to support implementation of post-workshop activities.
- All applicants must be 18-35 years old
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- Registered members of YSEALI
- citizens of one of the following countries: Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Timor-Leste, or Vietnam. If you are a citizen of one of the listed countries but living outside of Southeast Asia, you may apply for the workshop and join the virtual program. However, flights for the in-person workshop will only be covered for participants currently residing in Southeast Asia.
- Successful applicants must be able to demonstrate an interest in, and commitment to, civic education in their local community or nation.
- Fill up the application form with the necessary information and documents.
- Projects will be evaluated by Cultural Vistas staff in conjunction with U.S. Embassy Manila staff and sent to other U.S. Embassies in the YSEALI region for final review and selection.
Application Deadline: January 24, 2022Application ClosedOfficial link