WWF, the global conservation organization leading international efforts for a living planet, instituted the WWF Memorial Scholarships in honor of the late conservation leaders who lost their lives in a tragic helicopter accident near Ghunsa, Taplejung on 23rd September 2006. WWF Nepal calls for applications for WWF Memorial Scholarships 2022/23 from promising Nepali students who intend to pursue careers in nature conservation.
WWF Nepal’s Memorial Scholarships were established following the tragic loss of some of Nepal’s finest conservation leaders in an ill-fated helicopter accident on 23 September 2006 in eastern Nepal (Ghunsa, Taplejung). The mishap occurred as conservation dignitaries returned from the successful handover of the Kangchenjunga Conservation Area to the local communities for management.
September 23 has since been instituted as “National Conservation Day” by the government of Nepal in honor of the 24 individuals that lost their lives, while also annually commemorating their commitment to preserving Nepal’s rich natural heritage.
Recognizing the tremendous loss of leadership in conservation, WWF Nepal established the Memorial Scholarship Fund to assist students who wish to pursue careers in conservation. Through this fund, WWF Nepal hopes to build a new generation of conservation leaders that take forward Nepal’s conservation legacy. Students may put in their applications for more than one scholarship based on relevancy and criteria listed below:
1. CHANDRA GURUNG MEMORIAL FELLOWSHIP 2022/23:
The Chandra Gurung Memorial Fellowship was instituted in honor of the late Dr. Chandra Prasad Gurung, for his lifelong commitment and remarkable contribution to biodiversity conservation in Nepal.
2. NEPAL CONSERVATION MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP 2022/23:
In honor of the 24 conservation heroes who lost their lives in the tragic helicopter accident of 23rd September 2006 and their commitment to preserving Nepal’s rich natural heritage, WWF Nepal awards the Nepal Conservation Memorial Scholarship to promising students who wish to pursue a Bachelor’s Degree in the environment and biodiversity conservation in Nepal.
3. MINGMA NORBU SHERPA MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP 2022/23:
In honor of Mingma Norbu Sherpa and his lifelong commitment to conservation, WWF Nepal awards the Mingma Norbu Sherpa Memorial Scholarship to promising students to pursue a Bachelor’s Degree in the field of environment and biodiversity conservation in Nepal.
4. JENNIFER HEADLEY MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP 2022/23:
To honor Jennifer Headley and her life-long commitment to conservation, WWF Nepal awards the Jennifer Headley Memorial Scholarship to promising female students to pursue a Bachelor’s Degree in environment and biodiversity conservation in Nepal.
5. JILLIAN BOWLING SCHLAEPFER MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP 2022/23:
In honor of Jillian Bowling Schlaepfer and her life-long commitment to conservation, WWF Nepal awards the Jillian Bowling Schlaepfer Memorial Scholarship to promising students to pursue a Bachelor’s Degree in environment and biodiversity conservation in Nepal.
- The scholarship recipient will receive Nepali Rupees 569,400.00 over a period of 4 years.
- The scholarship will cover tuition, field equipment and field tour fees, living expenses, books and supplies, and thesis research costs while pursuing their bachelor’s degree in a conservation-related field at a university in Nepal.
- Scholars will also have the opportunity to interact with WWF staff on conservation projects in Nepal.
- All applicants must be citizens of Nepal.
- Applicants should not be exceeding 25 years of age at the time of application to be eligible for Nepal Conservation Memorial Scholarship.
- Applicants must have applied or be admitted to a Bachelor’s degree program in a conservation-related field at a university in Nepal.
- Students must be in their first year/semester of study.
- Preference will be given to applicants from ethnic/indigenous minorities and Dalit groups.
- Download the application form through the Apply Link.
- Complete all pages of the application form.
- Type your name at the top right corner of each page of the application form.
- Insert Digital Signature or Sign the “Applicant Agreement” page (Section V of the application).
- Email or send the application along with two letters of recommendation, your academic transcripts and certificates, your citizenship certificate, and examination scores to the address below.
- Please send your application to Nepal Conservation Memorial Scholarships, WWF Nepal, Baluwatar, Post Box 7660, Kathmandu, Nepal
- OR, Send an email with the subject line “Nepal Conservation Memorial Scholarship 2022/23” to: [email protected]
Application Deadline: April 15, 2023Application ClosedOfficial link