Utrecht University is providing scholarship opportunity for the fall (2021-2022) for international students.
Founded in 1636 and located in the heart of the Netherlands, Utrecht University is one of Europe’s leading research universities which is recognized internationally for its high-quality, innovative approach to research and teaching.
As an international student, you’ll be in good company at Utrecht University. Every year, approximately 1,500 international students come to the university to take English-taught degree programs and other courses. Students work and study closely together, learning to operate in an international environment from the outset. This is essential for scientists and scholars in our increasingly globalized world.
20-25 scholarships will be available for 2021-2022, distributed across the 6 Graduate Schools.
The scholarship is awarded for the duration of the degree program, which is one or two years, depending on the degree program. The scholarship will only be renewed for the second year if the student is making satisfactory progress towards the degree.
Eligible candidates are selected for a scholarship on the basis of the following criteria:
- Academic excellence and promise in the proposed field of study;
- The academic quality and results of preceding qualifications, as evidenced by proof of belonging to the top 10% of the class, grades, test scores, a writing sample, letters of recommendation;
- The quality and relevance of the motivation letter for the Master’s programme (academic content, intercultural and communication skills, personal motivation);
- The quality of the application for the Master’s programme itself (completeness, accuracy, consistency).
The funds for the scholarships come from the Utrecht Excellence Scholarship Fund, established by Utrecht University and from contributions by Utrecht University alumni.
The Utrecht Excellence scholarship can be awarded as:
- tuition fees
- tuition fees plus 11.000 euro living expenses
As the grant is not automatically a full scholarship, it may be necessary to find additional funding to be able to finance your studies and stay completely. Students requiring a residence permit in the Netherlands must prove to the IND (Immigration and Naturalization Office) that they have sufficient financial means.
- Belong to the top 10% of your graduating class:
an official document issued by your university that proves you are among the top 10% of your graduating class, such as a statement signed and stamped by your University, a reference letter, a class ranking certificate, etc.
- Not hold an EU/EEA passport and not be eligible for support under the Dutch system of study grants and loans;
- Have completed your secondary school and/or Bachelor degree outside the Netherlands;
- Have applied for an international master’s program with a start date of 1 September, 2021. Not all programs participate, please check www.uu.nl/masters > master’s program > Tuition fees and financial support to see if the Utrecht Excellence Scholarship is mentioned as a scholarship opportunity;
- Be able to comply with the conditions to obtain a Dutch visa/residence permit.
- Failure to meet one or more of these criteria automatically means the student is not eligible for this scholarship.
After submitting an application for the Master’s program, non-EU/EEA students will have the option to submit an application for an Utrecht Excellence Scholarship from 1 November.
You will need to upload the following document:
- Proof of belonging to the top 10% of your graduating class: an official document issued by your university that proves you are among the top 10% of your graduating class, such as a statement signed and stamped by your University, a reference letter, a class ranking certificate, etc.
Please note that students starting their program in February are not eligible for the Utrecht Excellence Scholarships.
- Submit an application for a Master’s program; if you do not do this first, your UES application will simply be deleted.
- After submitting an application for a Master’s program, you can go to Osiris Online Application.
- Log in with your Osiris username and password.
- Click on the link ‘New application’.
- Answer the UES questions and upload the requested document(s).
- Submit your application.
You will not be informed whether you have been awarded the scholarship prior to the scholarship deadline and not before you have been (un)conditionally admitted to the program.
Application Deadline: January 31, 2021Application ClosedOfficial link