When different people come together in a shared spirit, exciting new things begin. The Rhodes Scholarship is a life-changing opportunity to join outstanding young people from around the world to study at the University of Oxford.
The Rhodes Scholarship is a fully funded, full time, postgraduate award which enables talented young people from around the world to study at the University of Oxford .Applying for the Scholarship is a challenge, but it is an experience which has helped generations of young people to succeed. We encourage applications from talented students everywhere. Rhodes Scholars come to the UK for two or more years and can apply to study most full-time postgraduate courses offered by Oxford University.
The Rhodes Scholarship covers Oxford University course fees, as well as providing an annual stipend. For the 2022/23 academic year, the stipend is £18,180 per annum (£1,515 per month) from which Scholars pay all living expenses, including accommodation. Please note – this is not sufficient to cover partners or dependents.
The detailed Conditions of Tenure document outlines permitted combinations of degrees, and how many years of study are covered by the Scholarship, as the latter depends on course choice – for example up to three years of fees and stipend is available to Scholars who choose to undertake a DPhil (PhD) at Oxford.
Following selection for the Scholarship, the Rhodes Trust will cover the fee required to apply to study at the University of Oxford. The Trust will cover the fee for a student visa and the associated International Health Surcharge (IHS), which enables international students to access the UK’s National Health Service. The Rhodes Trust will cover two economy class flights – to and from the UK – for the beginning and end of studies in Oxford.
On arrival in Oxford, Scholars receive a settling in allowance and for those Scholars who transition to a second course of study in Oxford, they will again receive assistance to cover the fee for visa renewal and further application for IHS.
- Course Fees: The Rhodes Scholarship covers the course fees for studying at Oxford University.
- Stipend: Scholars receive an annual stipend of £18,180 (£1,515 per month) for the 2022/23 academic year. This stipend is intended to cover living expenses, including accommodation.
- Living Expenses: Scholars are expected to use the stipend to cover all their living expenses, but it is important to note that it may not be sufficient to support partners or dependents.
- Duration of Coverage: The number of years of study covered by the scholarship depends on the chosen course. For example, scholars undertaking a DPhil (PhD) at Oxford may receive up to three years of fees and stipend.
- Application Fees: The Rhodes Trust covers the fee required to apply for admission to the University of Oxford.
- Visa and Health Surcharge: The Trust also covers the fee for a student visa and the associated International Health Surcharge (IHS), which allows international students to access the UK’s National Health Service.
- Flights: Scholars are provided with two economy class flights, one for their arrival in the UK and another for their departure at the end of their studies in Oxford.
- Settling In Allowance: Upon arrival in Oxford, Scholars receive a settling in allowance to assist with initial expenses.
- Second Course of Study: If a Scholar decides to pursue a second course of study at Oxford, the Rhodes Trust provides assistance in covering the fee for visa renewal and the application for the International Health Surcharge.
- The Rhodes Trust formally welcomes applications from talented young individuals of diverse backgrounds. This demonstrates their commitment to inclusivity and promoting diversity within the scholarship program.
- The scholarship’s eligibility criteria are outlined in the relevant Information for Candidates document specific to each country or region.
- These criteria may vary slightly depending on the constituency to which the applicant belongs.
- The selection process for Rhodes Scholars is conducted without any form of discrimination. The Trust considers applicants without regard to their gender, gender identity, marital status, sexual orientation, race, ethnic origin, color, religion, social backgrounds, caste, or disability.
- The deadlines Vary depending on the Constituencies.
- Thoroughly Review Country-Specific Information.
- Pay close attention to the opening and closing dates of the application period for your country. Missing these dates may result in your application not being considered.
- Ensure that you meet all the eligibility criteria outlined in the Information for Candidates document. This may include academic qualifications, citizenship requirements, and other specific criteria.
- The Information for Candidates document will provide instructions on how to apply for the Rhodes Scholarship. It is crucial to follow these instructions carefully to complete the application process correctly.
- Look for the provided link to apply for the scholarship. This link will typically direct you to an online application portal or provide further instructions on how to submit your application.
- Prepare all the necessary documents as outlined in the application instructions. This may include academic transcripts, letters of recommendation, personal statements, and any other supporting materials required.
- Ensure that you submit your application before the specified closing date. Late submissions are generally not accepted, so it is important to complete and submit your application well in advance.
Application Deadline: August 1, 2023Application ClosedOfficial link