The Lester B. Pearson International Scholarships at the University of Toronto provide an unparalleled opportunity for outstanding international students to study at one of the world’s best universities in one of the world’s most multicultural cities. The scholarship program is intended to recognize students who demonstrate exceptional academic achievement and creativity and who are recognized as leaders within their school. A special emphasis is placed on the impact the student has had on the life of their school and community, and their future potential to contribute positively to the global community.
Awarded annually, these scholarships recognize outstanding students from around the world, including international students studying at Canadian high schools. This is U of T’s most prestigious and competitive scholarship for international students. The Lester B. Pearson International Scholarships will cover tuition, books, incidental fees, and full residence support for four years. The scholarship is tenable only at the University of Toronto for first-entry, undergraduate programs. Each year approximately 37 students will be named Lester B. Pearson Scholars.
Established in 1827, the University of Toronto is Canada’s largest university, recognized as a global leader in research and teaching. U of T’s distinguished faculty, institutional record of groundbreaking scholarship, and wealth of innovative academic opportunities continually attract outstanding students and academics from around the world. Few other universities offer as great a diversity of programs and resources.
U of T is committed to providing a learning experience that benefits from both a scale almost unparalleled in North America and from the close-knit learning communities made possible through its college system and academic divisions. U of T has 700 undergraduate programs in Humanities & Social Sciences, Life Sciences, Physical & Mathematical Sciences, Commerce & Management, Computer Science, Engineering, Kinesiology and physical Education, Music, and Architecture.
The University of Toronto stands among the top research universities in the world. U of T’s 44 libraries make up the third largest library system in North America, they produce more research than almost any other institution worldwide and their 500,000+ alumni can be found across the globe. Their students learn from leading scholars and academics who come to U of T for its world-class facilities and global prestige. An education from the University of Toronto is not only internationally recognized, it is highly regarded and easily transferable — in fact, their graduates are considered some of the world’s most employable.
U of T’s reputation attracts students from 170 countries and regions. They participate in hundreds of clubs, compete in 25 varsity sports, and take part in unique learning opportunities. Their colleges and undergraduate faculties give students the support of small, welcoming communities, while also the benefits of a large, internationally connected institution.
- Awarded annually
- These scholarships recognize outstanding students from around the world, including international students studying at Canadian high schools.
- This is U of T’s most prestigious and competitive scholarship for international students.
- The Lester B. Pearson International Scholarships will cover tuition, books, incidental fees, and full residence support for four years.
- The scholarship is tenable only at the University of Toronto for first-entry, undergraduate programs.
- Each year approximately 37 students will be named Lester B. Pearson Scholars.
- Pearson Scholars are students who have demonstrated exceptional academic achievement and creativity, who are accepted as leaders within their school, and who have the potential to contribute to the global community in the future.
- They can be distinguished from other students who may have equally high academic results by virtue of their breadth of interest, intellectual energy, and impact on the life of their school and community.
To be eligible to apply to the Pearson International Scholarship, the applicant must be:
- an international student (i.e. a non-Canadian requiring a study permit);
- currently in your final year of secondary school or have graduated no earlier than June 2023
- beginning their studies at the University of Toronto in September 2024 (students already attending post-secondary studies cannot be considered; students starting their studies in January 2024 at another post-secondary institution cannot be considered).
The 2024 Competition opens in September 2023. To apply, you will need to:
- Receive a nomination from the applicant’s school. High schools not already contacted/verified are asked to submit an application to participate in the program, available in September. High schools that have participated in a previous year will receive their nomination access starting in early September.
- Apply to study at the University of Toronto to begin the applicant’s studies in September 2024 and complete the application for admission by the appropriate deadlines. Please be advised that the applicant will be considered for the Pearson Scholarship for their first choice of program at U of T. They may apply for several programs and may receive admission to them all; however, the Pearson Scholarship, if awarded to them, would be restricted to their first choice of program at U of T at the time the scholarship decisions are made.
- Once U of T has received a nomination and the candidate has applied to the university, they can complete the online Lester B. Pearson Scholarship application. They will receive a private link to the scholarship application when they are successfully nominated by their school.
- School nomination deadline: November 30, 2023
- Student OUAC admission application deadline: December 15, 2023 (Please note this is the final date to submit an application to the OUAC; although the applicant can apply up to December 15, 2023, it is recommended they apply for admission through the OUAC as soon as possible. The recommended date to apply for admission is before November 7, 2023, as spaces in programs fill up quickly and popular programs may close early.)
- Student scholarship application deadline: January 15, 2024
Application Deadline: November 30, 2023Application ClosedOfficial link