Feature Image Credit: SI official website.
The Swedish Institute (SI) is now launching the Swedish Institute Scholarships for Global Professionals (SISGP), a new scholarship program which replaces Swedish Institute Study Scholarships (SISS).
Do you have ambition, leadership experience, and a strong professional background? You could study for a master’s degree in Sweden on a fully-funded Swedish Institute scholarship. Find out if you can apply.
The Swedish Institute Scholarships for Global Professionals (SISGP) program is part of the Swedish government’s international awards scheme aimed at developing global leaders who will contribute to the United Nations 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. It is funded by the Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Sweden and administered by the Swedish Institute (SI). The program offers a unique opportunity for global professionals to develop professionally and academically, to experience Swedish society and culture, and to build a long-lasting relationship with Sweden and with each other.
The goal is to enable the scholarship holders to play an active role in the positive development of the societies in which they live. Ideal candidates are ambitious young professionals with academic qualifications, demonstrated work and leadership experience, ambition to make a difference by working with issues which contribute to a just and sustainable development in their country in a long-term perspective, and a clear idea of how a study program in Sweden would benefit their country.
Priority will be given to applicants with a strong and relevant professional background and demonstrated leadership experience.
The scholarship is intended for full-time one-year or two-year master’s programs and is only awarded for programs starting in the autumn semester. The scholarship is granted for one academic year (two semesters) at a time. It will be extended for programs longer than two semesters, provided that the student has passed his/her courses/credits.
The scholarship period cannot be changed or extended beyond the awarded scholarship period, nor can the scholarship be transferred to a study program other than the awarded master’s program.
The competition for SI scholarships is very high. Therefore, they recommend that you also look for other scholarship opportunities from your government, from organizations in your country, or from Swedish universities.
- To begin with, apply for a master’s program at universityadmissions.se, between 16 OCT 2020 – 15 JAN 2021.
- Apply for an SI scholarship between 8 FEB 2021 – 18 FEB 2021.
- Tuition fees: directly paid to the Swedish university by them.
- Living expenses of SEK 10,000/month will be provided.
- A travel grant of SEK 15,000 * will be provided.
- Insurance against illness and accident.
- Membership of the SI Network for Future Global Leaders(NFGL) a platform to grow professionally and build your network while in Sweden.
- Membership of the SI Alumni Network after your scholarship period – a platform for continued networking and further professional development.
* The travel grant is a one-time payment for the entire study period. The grant is not applicable to students already living in Sweden.
- You must have a minimum of 3,000 hours of demonstrated employment.
- You must be liable to pay tuition fees to Swedish universities, have followed the steps of university admission, and be admitted to one of the eligible master’s programs by 9 April 2021.
- You must have demonstrated leadership experience from your current or previous employment.
- You must be a citizen of a country that is eligible for the scholarship programme.
- There are also conditions regarding dual citizenship, previous residence and studies in Sweden, and more.
- A motivation letter:
- you must use the SISGP form for the motivation letter 2021/2022.
- A Curriculum Vitae (CV):
- you must use the SISGP template for CV and the CV should not exceed the number of pages indicated in the template. Additional pages will not be considered. The template will be available in the official link.
- Two different letters of reference:
- you must use the SISGP form for the letter of reference. At least one letter of reference must be based on your work experience. It will be a merit if the second letter of reference is based on your involvement in networks or civil society organizations outside of your regular work. The letters should be signed by the referee and stamped with an official stamp of the referred organization or a notary office. The form(s) should be typed, then printed, signed and stamped; and then be uploaded as one PDF-file. You can find more information in the instruction in the form and in their FAQ.
- Proof of work and leadership experience:
- you must use the SISGP form for proof of work and leadership experience. The work and leadership form should be signed by the referee and stamped with an official stamp of the referred organization or a notary office. The form(s) should be typed, then printed, signed and stamped; and then be uploaded as one PDF-file. You can find more information in the instruction in the form and in their FAQ.
- A copy of your passport:
- your personal data including name, citizenship, and photograph must be shown clearly. Copy of passport should be included together with the CV as the last page. It is your responsibility to ensure that you have a copy of your valid passport to include.
Applying for a master’s programme
- Apply for up to four eligible master’s programmes at universityadmissions.se by 15 January 2021.
- Once you have submitted your application to the master’s programme(s) at universityadmissions.se, you will get a personal application number consisting of eight digits. Save the number as you will need it when applying to Global Professionals. Your application will be disqualified if you type in the wrong number in the online application form.
- Submit your receipt of the application fee and the supporting documents required by University Admissions before the deadline on 1 February 2021. The fee is non-refundable.
Note: If you missed the deadlines or failed to follow the application procedure at University Admissions, you will not be eligible for a Global Professionals scholarship.
Apply for a Global Professionals scholarship
- After you have completed your application to a master’s programme, you can apply for an SI scholarship. See more information about the required documents and forms.
- Submit the required documents digitally through our online application portal. The portal is open from 8 to 18 February 2021. Access will be available on this page below during the application period.
Note: Due to the high volume of applications, the online application portal may be under heavy pressure at the end of the application period. They strongly urge all applicants not to wait until the last days to apply. No admission past deadline is accepted as the portal will be closed.
Application Deadline: February 18, 2021Application ClosedOfficial link