The Skoll MBA Scholarship is a competitive scholarship for incoming MBA students who pursue entrepreneurial solutions for urgent social and environmental challenges. The Scholarship provides funding and exclusive opportunities to meet with world-renowned entrepreneurs, thought-leaders and investors.
The Skoll Centre is a leading global entity for the advancement of social entrepreneurship. They foster innovative social transformation through education, research, and collaboration. The Skoll Centre seeks to provide high potential individuals with the inspiration, knowledge, skills, and networks they need to effectively pursue careers of positive social impact.
Every year, up to 5 students from home and abroad are awarded with this scholarship. The Skoll Scholarship is funded by a generous grant from the Skoll Foundation, and is administered by the Skoll Centre, which is based at the Saïd Business School, University of Oxford.
The scholarship covers the full costs of tuition and college fees for the MBA programme as well as partial living expenses based on need, up to an additional £8,000.
To be considered, you need to meet the following criteria:
- By the time the candidates apply for the MBA, they must have spent preferably at least 3 years either:
- starting and growing a social venture;
- OR leading a major expansion of an existing social venture or programme within an organisation;
- OR pursuing positive change as an impact career professional, i.e. someone who has used entrepreneurial approaches to address the same social/environmental issue, with a clear core thread that unites his/her work.
In each of these 3 cases, candidates should be able to describe the outcomes/impact that has been created as a result of their work.
- Candidates will have used entrepreneurial approaches to identify opportunities, taken action to positively shift the status quo, and produced proven impact that contributes to rectifying unjust systems and practices in their chosen area of work.
- Candidates must demonstrate evidence of personal qualities strongly resonating with entrepreneurial leadership, and illustrate how these have influenced their career path thus far. These qualities include:
- Single-mindedness and persistence in pursuit of a social/environmental benefit goal, including a willingness to face failure and start again;
- A bias towards action rather than reflection on an issue and a willingness to apprentice with a problem* if they are tackling a challenge they didn’t personally live;
- A tendency to explore the environment for opportunities and resources;
- A willingness to take personal, and sometimes financial, risks;
- A propensity to develop networks and draw upon their members to pursue mutual goals.
- Candidates must demonstrate how a business education can contribute to the wider development of their work. They will need to illustrate why a business degree at this stage of their career trajectory can help them amplify their impact.
- Candidates must demonstrate some evidence of their need for the Scholarship. This may be exhibited, for example, in previous work experiences or personal backgrounds which make self-funding the MBA a significant financial burden.
To apply for the Skoll Scholarship you first need to apply and be accepted onto the Saïd Business School’s MBA programme. Candidates must apply in stages 1-2 of the MBA admissions process for the 2018-19 academic year.
To be considered for the scholarship, you must tick the “Skoll Scholarship” box when you submit your MBA application. Once you’ve received confirmation that you have been accepted onto the MBA programme, the Skoll Centre will send you a link to the Scholarship online application which you will need to complete.
The deadlines for Stage 1 and 2 admission rounds are 29 September 2017 and 5 January 2018 respectively.
It is important to visit the official website (link found below) to access the application form and for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.
Application Deadline: September 29, 2017Application ClosedOfficial link