The Vienna Biocenter Summer School provides a unique opportunity for approx. 28 undergraduate students to work side by side with leading researchers in a dynamic scientific environment.
Their programme aims to attract talented students from around the world, creating a vibrant and diverse atmosphere. It is the perfect preparation for those students who are interested in graduate study in the life sciences arena. Applicants who are successful are provided with accommodation, a travel allowance and a stipend for the duration of the scholarship. The programme, starts on the last Friday in June and finishes on the last Friday of August each year.
To get more exciting opportunities like this, at your fingertips, install the Youth Opportunities Mobile App here from your cellphone.
The Vienna Biocenter is a premier location for Life Sciences Research; it hosts scientists from more than 65 nations which helps to create a dynamic research environment of a high international standard with outstanding publication records, and effective competition for public funding from the most prestigious international and national sources.
The school is a collaboration between five of Europe’s leading research institutes: Research Center for Molecular Medicine, Gregor Mendel Institute, Institute of Molecular Biotechnology, Institute of Molecular Pathology and the Max F. Perutz Laboratories and is generously sponsored by the Max Birnstiel Foundation.
The Vienna BioCenter is a leading life science location in Europe: a thriving campus that combines basic research institutes, universities and biotech companies. Four research institutes collaborate in creating an exceptional training environment, where students and junior researchers have all the necessary resources to conduct meaningful projects: there is virtually no experiment that cannot be done at the VBC. Their training programs are designed to prime and/or advance learning of critical skills, while supporting students and postdocs to become independent, critical and innovative thinkers, establish professional networks and ultimately move on to their next position.
- Perfect preparation for those students who are interested in graduate study in the life sciences arena.
- Free student accommodation
- Each student will be awarded a stipend of 1400 euros after tax for the nine-week programme
- Medical insurance is included in the contract for the nine weeks
- A free travel pass providing unlimited use of public transport within Vienna for the duration of the scholarship
- Reimbursement of travel costs to and from Vienna
- Numerous social events
- Arrangements will be made for applicants from overseas to secure the necessary visas
- Applicants must have completed at least 2 years of a University study (eg. 2/3 years of a Bachelor study or at least 1 year of a Master study – by 30 June)
- Applicants must have some previous research experience
- Applicants must have good academic record
- Applicants must have high level of English language
- Applicants must show evidence of enrollment in a University programme for the current academic year and the next year (if possible)
- Applicants must upload enrolment certificate and transcript of studies and/or exam results for the last years of applicant’s course.
- Applicants will also need to upload a proof of enrolment for the next academic year. If this is not possible, they should upload a personal statement with the programmes that they have/will apply for.
- All uploaded documents that are not in English or German should have a translation attached. The translation can be done by the applicant.
- A CV or cover letter are not required.
- The summer school does not charge an application fee.
Application Deadline: January 31, 2019Application ClosedOfficial link