The Academy Scholars Program of The Harvard Academy for International and Area Studies is now open for applications.
The Academy Scholars Program of The Harvard Academy for International and Area Studies identifies and supports outstanding scholars at the start of their academic careers whose work combines excellence in a social science discipline with a command of the language and knowledge or expertise of countries or regions outside of the United States or Canada. Their scholarship should span traditional disciplinary divisions and elucidate comparative, transnational, or domestic issues, past or present.
The Academy Scholars are a select community of individuals with resourcefulness, initiative, and originality whose work shows promise as a foundation for careers in research universities or international institutions.
Academy Scholars are appointed for a two-year in-residence postdoctoral fellowship at The Harvard Academy for International and Area Studies, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, USA. They receive substantial financial and research assistance which permits them to undertake robust research projects and skills development in their chosen fields and areas. They meet at dinners, seminars, and informal get-togethers in order to pursue innovative interdisciplinary approaches to their work. They are mentored by the Harvard Academy Senior Scholars, a cohort of faculty members who act as a selection committee, participate in Harvard Academy events, and are committed to supporting the Academy Scholars as they work to achieve their potential.
The Harvard Academy is dedicated to building an inclusive community of scholars with an array of experiences, perspectives, and methods and welcomes a diverse pool of applicants.
The purpose of the Academy Scholars Program is to identify exceptional scholars who are at the start of their careers and whose work combines excellence in a social science discipline (including history and law) with an in-depth grounding in a particular country or region. Since 1986, the Academy Scholars Program has produced over 130 social scientists and seventeen graduate fellows from a wide variety of social science disciplines with expertise in all non-Western regions.
- An annual stipend of $75,000, with the two years to be completed within a three-year window.
- Must have Ph.D. or comparable doctoral degrees (within two years of August 1, 2024, start date)
- Must be advanced doctoral candidates in the social sciences.
- Must be able to submit degree conferral documentation issued by their university registrar’s office by June 30, 2024, for an August 1, 2024, start date. (Scholars nearing dissertation completion)
- Applicants will have to create an account on the official scholarship application portal and log in to it to complete the application process. (Available on the apply link)
- Applicants will have to submit the application online through the official scholarship application portal. (Available on the apply link)
- Applicants will have to submit the necessary documents with the application. (List available on the official link)
Application Deadline: September 23, 2023Application ClosedOfficial link