The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program was established at CMU-Africa in 2016. The program provides generous financial, social, and academic support for students whose talent and promise exceed their financial resources. With a vision that education is a catalyst for social and economic change, the program focuses on developing leaders who are transformative, encouraging them to be active contributors in their communities.
The program focuses on:
- Holistic support: The scholarship covers application preparation support, orientation, tuition and fees, health insurance, travel and basic living expenses, and project, and entrepreneurship support. Scholars also have access to a range of resources that support their well-being and academic success.
- Career preparation: Scholars benefit from tailored activities to prepare them for the workplace. Throughout their studies, they participate in professional development activities including, but not limited to, internship and career fairs, networking opportunities with industry leaders, and one-on-one career coaching that prepares them to pursue their goals upon graduation.
- Leadership development: Scholars develop leadership skills through participation in student clubs, community service, and a variety of programs that equip students to become change-makers. During their time at CMU-Africa, the Scholars take a series of leadership training sessions tailored to their needs to ensure they are equipped with cutting-edge leadership skills that will enable them to lead with distinction.
- Giving back: Scholars live out the give-back ethos of the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program by leading and participating in community service activities and developing, and implementing projects that make a difference in the lives of others. They collaborate with the members of the CMU-Africa community to push their give-back agenda.
Scholars face social and economic barriers and have demonstrated the following attributes:
- Academic talent: Scholars value learning and have the drive to complete their education.
- Commitment to giving back: Scholars have demonstrated a commitment to improving their communities.
- Potential to lead: Scholars will become role models, mentors, and change-makers.
In order to be considered for the Scholars Program, students must first be admitted to one of CMU-Africa’s degree programs. Learn more about tuition and financial aid and how to apply to CMU-Africa below.
- Full funding for tuition fees, living expenses, and other academic costs
- Access to high-quality education at world-class partner universities
- Comprehensive academic and social support services, including mentoring, tutoring, leadership development, and career services
- Opportunities to participate in internships, research projects, and other experiential learning activities
- A supportive network of Scholars and alumni from around the world
- Be a citizen of an African country
- Be academically talented and have a strong track record of achievement
- Demonstrate financial need
- Be committed to giving back to their communities
- To apply to the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program, you should first visit the Mastercard Foundation website to learn more about the Program and find a list of partner institutions.
- Once you have identified a partner institution that you are interested in attending, you should visit their website to learn more about their specific application process and deadlines.
- Start early and give yourself plenty of time to research the Program and partner institutions, and to complete your application.
- Be sure to read the application instructions carefully and follow them closely.
- Highlight your academic achievements, leadership potential, and commitment to giving back to your community in your application essays.
- Get strong letters of recommendation from teachers, mentors, or other professionals who can attest to your academic abilities and leadership potential.
Application Deadline: January 15, 2024Application ClosedOfficial link