Applications are invited for Japan-IMF Scholarships Program for Advanced Studies (JISP) from Japanese nationals obtaining PhD degrees in macroeconomics at a university outside of Japan. Selected scholars must attend a 2-day orientation program at the IMF in Washington D.C., shortly before they begin studies at their respective university.
The Japan-IMF Scholarships Program for Advanced Studies (JISP) is financed by the government of Japan and administered by the IMF’s Institute for Capacity Development with assistance from the Institute of International Education (IIE) and International Education Blueprint (IEB) in Japan.
The candidate should have a very good command of the English language.
The JISP covers all reasonable expenses for two years of graduate study including:
- Full university tuition and fees;
- Medical insurance;
- Annual book allowance and monthly living allowance;
- Selected travel expenses; and
- Paid summer internship.
- To cover the remaining years of study, JISP scholars are expected to secure another source of funding, usually through Research or
- Teaching Assistantship at their university.
To be eligible, an applicant must be:
- A Japanese citizen.
- Able to obtain a PPh.D.by age 34.
- Studying at, or applying to, a PhD program in macroeconomics at a university outside of Japan. Only universities with a strong doctoral program in macroeconomics are eligible.
- Entering the 1st, 2nd or 3rd year of the PhD program.
- Nationality: Japanese citizens are eligible to apply for these scholarships programme.
The application is available online. It must be completed in English and include the following:
- A personal statement focusing on the applicant’s background, career goals, and interest in working as an IMF economist;
- A complete university transcript for the applicant’s prior studies and, if already a graduate student, a current university transcript;
- GRE and TOEFL or IELTS scores;
- A copy of one application to a PhD program; and
- Two reference letters.
Application Deadline: January 31, 2018 (8 Days Remaining)Apply nowOfficial link