Founded in 1899 at the London Docks, LSHTM is now based in Bloomsbury, where it has two main sites at Keppel Street and Tavistock Place, and additional sites in The Gambia and Uganda. Today, our staff, students and alumni work in government, academia, international agencies and health services across the world. The London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine is renowned for its research, postgraduate studies and continuing education in public and global health. LSHTM has an international presence and collaborative ethos, and is uniquely placed to help shape health policy and translate research findings into tangible impact.
They deliver research-led educational programmes to future health leaders, managers and researchers across the world. They have more than 1,200 face-to-face Master’s and Doctoral students, 3,800 studying by distance learning, and 500 each year on short courses and continuous professional development. Their free online courses are studied by more than 300,000 participants globally. Research income has grown to more than £180 million per year from national and international funding sources including UK government and research councils, the European Union, the Welcome Trust, Gates Foundation and other philanthropic sources. Their diverse research talents, skills and experience underpin their position as a leader in public and global health. These range from the molecular to the global, the theoretical to the applied, the analytical to the political. Their staff are conducting research in more than 100 countries.
Their mission is to improve health and health equity in the UK and worldwide; working in partnership to achieve excellence in public and global health research, education and translation of knowledge into policy and practice. Their vision is for a more healthy, sustainable and equitable world for everyone. This vision will drive their activities as they pursue their overall mission. Their values underpin our mission and express our expectations of everyone at LSHTM.
Three scholarships are offered to support the training and development of the next generation of leaders in global health, and strengthen the capacity of health systems and health-related research in Africa. These highly competitive scholarships are available to applicants intending to study on a one-year, full-time, London-based (face-to-face) MSc programme at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM).
Three scholarships are available for the 2023-24 academic year. Each scholarship will cover :
- tuition fees, including any mandatory field trip fees, and
- a tax-free stipend (living allowance) of GBP 19,500.00.
To be eligible for these scholarships, applicants must:
- be nationals of, and resident in, countries in sub-Saharan Africa; and
- intend to return to sub-Saharan Africa on completion of their MSc year at LSHTM; and
- confirm that they would not otherwise be able to pay for the proposed programme of study by submitting the Supplementary Questions Form; and
- meet LSHTM’s minimum English language requirements; and
- hold a first degree at either a first or upper second class equivalency level, and
- hold an offer of admission for 2023-24 for one of LSHTM’s 19 London-based intensive MSc programmes of study.
Preference will be given to applicants who demonstrate (in their application documentation) the potential to make significant contributions to public health and/or health-related research in Africa.
Eligible Regions: Nationals and residents of countries in sub-Saharan Africa.
The application process has two steps. To be considered for the funding, applicants must meet all eligibility criteria and complete both steps outlined below by the scholarship deadline of 23:59 (GMT) on Wednesday 01 March 2023.
- Step 1: Submit an application for 2023-24 for a London-based MSc programme of study, as per instructions under the ‘How to Apply’ tab on the relevant programme of study page.
- Step 2: Submit an online scholarships application, selecting this scholarship option ‘2023-24 GSK Scholarship for Future Health Leaders’ from the drop-down menu. A completed Supplementary Questions Form for this scholarship must be uploaded as part of this application. This is the only attachment required in Step 2 (as applicants should have already submitted references; transcripts; a CV with their application for study).
Application Deadline: March 1, 2023Application ClosedOfficial link