Graduate Research Scholarships are available to high-achieving students undertaking graduate research at the University of Melbourne. All study areas are applicable to this scholarship. Approximately 600 scholarships are awarded.
All domestic students who are offered admission to a Masters by Research or doctoral degree (Ph.D.) at the University of Melbourne will receive a Research Training Program Scholarship (Fee Offset).
Graduate Research Scholarships that provide a stipend, as well as fee offset, are awarded to domestic and international students based on academic merit. Eligible applicants are scored and ranked according to their academic achievement of their last completed degree and their research potential in their field of study. Factors such as completion of a degree at the same level as the research course for which the scholarship is sought, relevant professional experience, refereed publications, specialist medical qualifications, or composition of original music may be taken into consideration.
Domestic students will receive an offer for Research Training Program Scholarship (Fee Offset) as part of their course offer. Offers for Graduate Research Scholarships that provide a stipend and fee offset are made separately but around the same time course offers are made.
- Your scholarship is conditional on maintaining full-time enrolment in your course at the University of Melbourne.
- If you are enrolled as a full-time student and received approval to enroll as a part-time student, your stipend will resume at the part-time stipend rate from the date that approval is given up to the maximum full-time equivalent duration of the Scholarship. You must provide the University with a Tax File Number Declaration form and stipend payments may be subject to income tax. Your fee offset will not be affected.
- If you are enrolled as a part-time student and received approval to enroll as a full-time student, your stipend will resume at the full-time student rate from the date that approval is given up to the maximum full-time equivalent duration of the Scholarship. Your fee offset will not be affected.
Melbourne is a place where world-class researchers choose to study and work. You’ll study alongside talented peers in an environment focused on research impact and relevance, and be supervised by leading experts in your field. Our graduate schools offer graduate research programs in most major disciplines, so you can pursue your passion and develop your career.
- Full fee offset for up to two years for students undertaking a Masters by Research degree or up to four years for students undertaking a doctoral degree.
- Living allowance of $34,400 per year pro rata (2023 full-time study rate) for up to two years for students undertaking a Masters by Research degree or up to 3.5 years for students undertaking a doctoral degree. The living allowance may be indexed annually, including limited paid sick, maternity, and parenting leave.
- Relocation grant of $2000 for students moving from States or Territories other than Victoria or $3000 for students moving from outside Australia.
- Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) Single Membership for international students who require a student visa to study in Australia
To be eligible for this scholarship, you must:
- have applied for and meet the entry requirements for a graduate research degree at the University of Melbourne, or be currently enrolled in a graduate research degree at the University of Melbourne
- If you are a new student and have applied for a graduate research course by the application closing date for that course, you will be automatically considered for the Graduate Research Scholarships.
- If you have accepted a graduate research course offer and deferred commencement in order to be reconsidered for a scholarship, you must submit an online application form.
- If you are currently enrolled in a graduate research course for which you seek a scholarship, you must submit an online application form.
Application Deadline: October 31, 2023 (31 Days Remaining)Apply nowOfficial link