Call for GEMS applications for the 2023 intake is now open.
The Global Excellence and Mobility Scholarship (GEMS) program aim to bring the best and brightest PhD students to Monash University Malaysia, where they can work with top-class research teams on some of the world’s core challenges.
The GEMS program offers 15 scholarships each year from 2022 to 2024, and scholarship recipients will be funded for 39 months. Each PhD student will be supervised by a team of staff in Malaysia and Australia, and as such, the program will include a paid placement in Australia for up to 12 months.
Areas of study
Refer to ‘Research topics’ below. Candidates are permitted to select up to 2 preferred research topics only. A research proposal for each selected research topic must be submitted with your application.
- School of Arts and Social Sciences (SASS)
- School of Business (SOB)
- School of Engineering (SOE)
- School of Information Technology (SOIT)
- School of Medicine and Health Sciences (SOM)
- School of Pharmacy (SOP)
- School of Science (SOS)
Call for applications closes on 31 December 2022
Panel interviews for shortlisted applicants in February 2023
Announcement of outcome in March 2023
Monash achieves historic result in THE World University Rankings
- Monash University has skyrocketed 13 places to rank 44th globally in the prestigious Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings 2023.
- Monash’s rise in global standing among the 1799 institutions across 104 countries and regions recognises the University’s reputation as a leading international university.
- These history-making results follow Monash’s outstanding recent performances in global academic rankings earlier this year.
100% tuition fee waiver for three years and three months under the Global Excellence and Mobility Scholarship (GEMS).
Stipend and benefits
The period in Malaysia: a monthly stipend of RM 2,800 for 27 months.
The period in Australia: a monthly stipend of RM 7,000 for up to 12 months
A grant to cover travel and the initial cost of living expenses in Australia.
- The period in Malaysia: a monthly stipend of RM 2,800 for 27 months.
- The period in Australia: a monthly stipend of RM 7,000 for up to 12 months
- A grant to cover travel and the initial cost of living expenses in Australia.
- 100% tuition fee waiver for three years and three months under the Global Excellence and Mobility Scholarship (GEMS).
- Malaysian and International students are eligible
- To enter Monash University, you must satisfy particular academic and English language requirements.
- To be eligible for GEMS, you must possess a minimum academic qualification of First Class Honours (H1) or its equivalence (H1E) recognised by Monash Malaysia.
- Global Excellence and Mobility Scholarship (GEMS) recipients are required to contribute a maximum of 10 hours per week in academic support and/or research support activities as determined by the managing School.
- Applications must be submitted through this form with the following documents:
1. Academic transcripts (Certified true copies with grading scales)
2. Curriculum vitae
3. Personal statement on why you think are suited for the GEMS program (300 words)
4. Research proposals for up to 2 preferred research topics
5. Proof of English proficiency (Based on Monash University English language requirements)
- Shortlisted candidates will be invited for a panel interview.
- An Invitation to Apply letter will be sent to successful applicants on the next steps to complete your application.
Application Deadline: December 31, 2022 (22 Days Remaining)Apply nowOfficial link