The EU-ECOWAS Scholarship program provides scholarships for masters’ degrees in the sustainable energy sector at specialized universities in West Africa (Cape Verde, Cote d’Ivoire, Ghana, Nigeria, Senegal, and Togo) for the benefit of eligible students from ECOWAS member states involved in the energy sector.
The program aims to improve access to high-quality training in the sustainable energy sector in West Africa, enabling university graduates with a focus on young professionals (English, French, and Portuguese speaking) in the ECOWAS member states to acquire the profile required to meet the growing demand for specialists at the highest level in the field of sustainable energy and to promote good governance of the sector in the region.
The two types of scholarships available in the program are:
- Mobile Scholarships:
Scholars are selected to complete their master’s program in higher education institutions located outside their country of residence. The scholarship will provide funding for tuition, subsistence, travel, research grant, insurance, and visa.
- Stationary Scholarships:
Scholars are selected to complete their master’s program in higher education institutions located in their country of residence. The scholarship will take care of scholars’ tuition and research grant. A small stipend to contribute towards travel and subsistence will also be provided.
You can ONLY apply for relevant courses in Higher Education Institution(s) which have been opened to receive applications:
Obafemi Awolowo University
- M.Sc. Energy Planning and Management
- M.Sc. Environmental Technology Management
- M.Sc. Electrical Power Engineering
- M.Sc. Energy Systems Science and Energy Systems Engineering
The University of Nigeria Nsukka
- M.Eng./M.Sc. Renewable and New Energy Systems
- M.Eng./M.Sc. Power Engineering
- M.Eng./M.Sc. Sustainable Energy Materials Engineering
- M.Eng./M.Sc. Industrial Electronics and Power Devices
- M.Eng./M.Sc. Energy Policy, Regulation, and Management
Universite Cheikh Anta Diop (UCAD)
- M.Sc. 2 Photovoltaic Systems and Materials (Master 2 de physique et applications, spécialité énergie solaire, matériaux et systèmes (SOLMATS)
- Only students with a MASTER 1 in physics from a CAMES member university will be accepted by UCAD.
Universidade de Cabo Verde
- International Interuniversity Master’s program in Energy Decarbonisation
- They work to improve skills, encourage entrepreneurship and promote social enterprise.
- From supporting curriculum reform and institutional changes to sharing international best practices to equipping young people with the skills to get a job or start a business, they work to improve the employment prospects of young Africans.
- Ensure skills systems that meet the needs of employers and industries.
The EU-ECOWAS Scholarship application form collects responses from applicants who are interested to complete a master’s program in the energy sector from shortlisted universities. The scholarship selection process will analyze the information collected through the application form against the following criteria:
- Be nationals of a member state of ECOWAS or Mauritania and being resident in ECOWAS’ region of Mauritania
- Have at least a bachelor’s degree with First Class or Second Class (Upper Division)
- Have undertaken studies with at least a bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, energy and environment (including renewable energy and energy efficiency), law, economics, finance, and planning as deemed by the entry requirements of the chosen university
Work experience in the energy sector in West Africa will be an added advantage
- Hold (at least) provisional admission into an approved course of study at the time of scholarship approval
- The scholarship is open to working and non-working candidates. Working candidates are required to provide a letter of release from their employer to complete the course for the duration of the program
Commitment to publish at least 1 practice-oriented research before the end of the program
Commitment to start internships within the course of study.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. If more candidates match the selection criteria than there are places available, they will be ranked according to the results of their last year of study and professional experience.
Eligible Regions: West Africa (Cape Verde, Cote d’Ivoire, Ghana, Nigeria, Senegal, and Togo)
The application form will request all applicants to state their local language and any other languages they can speak fluently and may be asked to communicate with it during the interview and validation of documents.
Other information to be collected through the application form include the applicant’s biodata, geographical location, education, work experience, and commitments. Applicants selected will be required to complete a validation process by providing relevant documents to support the information given in the form. The inability to validate this information within the specified period will result in disqualification and replacement by candidates who are on the waiting list.
Therefore, all applicants are advised to prepare all relevant documents needed for validation immediately after their application has been submitted.
Successful applicants will be required to provide the following documents for validation:
- Identification cards such as an international passport or a national identity card
- Proof of residency in an ECOWAS country or Mauritania
- A copy of the provisional admission letter from a shortlisted university
- Academic transcripts or certificate obtained, and
- Any other documents to validate information provided in the application form.
Application Deadline: February 10, 2023Application ClosedOfficial link