Call for the BIGSAS-Scholarships for African Women Scholars 2024 are open now!!!
The Bayreuth International Graduate School of African Studies, BIGSAS, invites outstanding African women scholars based on the continent to join an international community of early-career researchers working in the field of African Studies. BIGSAS provides a center for creative and innovative doctoral training based on the inter- and multi-disciplinary research environment of the Africa Multiple Cluster of Excellence at the University of Bayreuth.
In 2024, BIGSAS is awarding two scholarships within the Graduate School Scholarship Programme (GSSP) provided by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD). For these, BIGSAS will nominate candidates who have successfully passed the BIGSAS application procedure. The final selection for the scholarship will be made by the DAAD. The scholarship periods begin in October 2024 at the earliest (including a German language course starting in summer 2024, if applicable). The scholarships are awarded for a total scholarship period of up to four years.
Applicants must have a very good Master’s or equivalent degree. The last Master’s or equivalent degree must have been obtained within the last six years at the time of nomination by BIGSAS. The application must be accompanied by two reports (letters of recommendation) from academic teachers in a past study program (s) who know the applicant reasonably well. Please use the DAAD template or make sure that the reports cover the points listed in the DAAD template.
Applicants should not have been residents of Germany for more than fifteen months at the time of nomination. While applications may be submitted in German, English, or French, please note that the working language of BIGSAS is English.
BIGSAS is a graduate school that offers a well-organized framework, close mentorship, and wide expertise to successfully pursue a doctorate in the field of African studies. BIGSAS does not comprise any kind of regular funding; it is not a scholarship. Whether BIGSAS fits the research plans depends on the research project that the applicant would like to pursue. Please take a look at the academic disciplines and research interests covered by the members. If the research interests overlap with one of theirs, BIGSAS may just be the perfect fit for the applicant.
- Monthly payments of 1,200 euros
- Payments toward health, accident, and personal liability insurance cover
- Travel lump sum (depending on country of origin)
- Annual research allowance of 460 euros
- Under certain circumstances, grant holders may receive the following additional benefits:
- monthly rent subsidy
- monthly allowance for accompanying members of the family (about 200 euros child allowance per child; about 275 euros marriage allowance)
- Additionally, the host graduate school can receive an annual material resource and supervision allowance (1000 euros).
The applicant may apply to BIGSAS if they:
- hold a Master’s degree or an equivalent degree, and
- plan a doctoral research project in an area consistent with the research interests and academic disciplines covered by the members of BIGSAS.
- Excellently qualified doctoral candidates and young academics and scientists who have completed a Master’s degree or diploma, or in exceptional cases, a Bachelor’s degree at the latest by the time they begin their scholarship—depending on the graduate school.
- In addition to filling in the online form, the applicant will be asked to attach supportive documents (in English, French, or German; please provide certificates, etc. as certified copies). Required supportive documents are:
- The supervision agreement mentioned under Step 2
- A project proposal of a maximum of 10 pages which lines out the aims of the applicant’s dissertation project as well as a detailed work and time schedule. Please include the applicant’s name, the page number, and the title of the proposal on each page. The proposal should also include a one-page summary of the proposal in English.
- A one-page letter of motivation in which the applicant explains why they apply to BIGSAS
- A soft copy of the applicant’s written and graded Master’s or equivalent thesis
- Two letters of recommendation personally signed by the authors (the authors need to be from the applicant’s academic background and mentioned with title and university/institute)
- A Curriculum Vitae (CV) showing the applicant’s academic progress and their qualifications in detail
- A self-declaration that the applicant has not been accepted for a doctorate at another university or is enrolled at another university or university of applied sciences
- A Secondary School Graduation Certificate / Higher Education Entrance Certificate
- A Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent degree certificate including complete pages of the transcript of records (e.g. Licence ou Maîtrise, a certified copy is requested)
- A Master’s Degree or equivalent degree certificate, including complete pages of the transcript of records (e.g. DEA or DESS, a certified copy is requested)
- A list of academic publications (if available)
Application Deadline: December 31, 2023 (28 Days Remaining)Apply nowOfficial link