The United Nations Research Institute for Social Development (UNRISD) seeks an outstanding researcher to lead its new program of work on Gender Justice and Development.
The Senior Gender Justice and Development Consultant will join a small team committed to producing high-quality research that contributes to the realization of equity and social justice in development policy and practice. Building on prior and ongoing research, she/he/they will lead the development of new research projects, identifying critical areas of concern for the UN system within the framework of the UNRISD Institutional Strategy.
Under the general supervision of the Director of UNRISD, the Senior Gender Justice and Development Consultant will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Conceptualize, develop, and manage the Institute’s research program in the area of Gender Justice and Development, ensuring its integration within the UNRISD Institutional Strategy and research agenda.
- Within this program, create a portfolio of research and activities in three priority areas: (i) feminist perspectives on climate change; (ii) gender, technologies and digital economies; and (iii) anti-genderism and global governance.
- In all research and other activities, seek to progress and promote an intersectional approach that could have wider benefits across the UN system.
- Identify research partners, organize meetings and conferences; supervise staff and consultants involved in research and activities; and ensure the quality of outputs produced.
- Produce high-quality publications, including articles in peer-reviewed journals and edited volumes, policy briefs, and other outputs for a range of audiences.
- Take the lead in mobilizing resources for the research program, and contribute to the fundraising activities of the Institute.
- Contribute to Institute-wide flagship publications, research programs, and special activities.
- Build and maintain regular contacts within the United Nations system, governments, multilateral donors, and the international research community.
- Act as the focal point for UNRISD in its engagement with the UN system on gender-related issues.
- Provide policy advice and technical assistance, based on UNRISD research, to United Nations departments and agencies, national and local policymakers, civil society organizations, academics, or other institutions.
- Represent UNRISD in international meetings and academic conferences.
- Periodically report on progress to the Director, the UNRISD Board, and donors.
- Carry out other activities as agreed within the Institute or assigned by the Director.
- Salary will be commensurate with experience and dependent on location.
- Duration: an initial trial period of six months with the possibility of extension.
- The Senior Gender Justice and Development Consultant will be hired by the United Nations office at Geneva as a Consultant/Individual Contractor. The consultant is responsible for ensuring compliance with all relevant tax obligations, social insurance contributions, and appropriate medical and accident insurance coverage for the full duration of employment.
- UNRISD will cover one return ticket at least costly fare (if the selected candidate is not residing in Geneva).
- Applicants should possess a Master’s Degree in the social sciences, with a focus on gender and development. A Ph.D. is strongly desirable.
- A minimum of eight years of experience in development research at an academic or research institution.
- A publication record in the field of gender equality, human rights and social development, and expertise in at least one of the priority areas for program development (indicated under functions, above);
- Research experience in countries in the global South.
- Experience in fundraising for social development research projects, project management, and team supervision (including on-location and remote members).
- Fluent English with proven writing and editing skills; ability to work in other UN languages highly desirable.
- Apply through the given link.
- The “Cover Letter” section should include a discussion of your motivation and skills.
- The deadline for applications is Sunday 12 July 2020 (23:59 Central European Time).
- Kindly note that, due to limited staff resources, only those candidates who are short-listed will be contacted.
- Short-listed applicants will be asked to submit relevant publications and carry out a written assignment before being notified if they have been selected for interview.
Application Deadline: July 12, 2020Application ClosedOfficial link