Applications are open for the position of Associate Legal Officer at UNHCR in Stockholm, Sweden.
UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, is a global organization dedicated to saving lives, protecting rights and building a better future for refugees, forcibly displaced communities and stateless people. Every year, millions of women, men and children are forced to flee their homes to escape conflict and persecution.
The UNHCR Regional Representation for Northern Europe is responsible for eight countries: Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Iceland, Latvia, Lithuania, Norway and Sweden. Within the Protection Unit at the Regional Representation for Northern Europe, this Associate Legal Officer (National Officer) position covers Sweden and is based at the UNHCR Office in Stockholm, Sweden.
To get more exciting opportunities like this, at your fingertips, install the Youth Opportunities Mobile App here from your cellphone.
The Associate Legal Officer is relied upon by the Office to support and coordinate quality, timely and effective protection responses to the needs of populations of concern. Another important function of the position is to ensure that persons of concern are involved with the Office in making decisions that affect them, whether in accessing their rights or in identifying appropriate solutions to their problems. To achieve this, the incumbent will need to build and maintain effective interfaces with communities of concern, authorities, protection and assistance partners as well as a broader network of stakeholders who can contribute to enhancing protection.
The main roles of the job are to:
- support governments in their implementation of European and international legal standards related to asylum and statelessness,
- monitor that asylum-seekers have access to countries in the region and are able to apply for protection,
- support the national asylum authorities to develop fair, efficient, and high-quality asylum procedures,
- advise governments, partners, and stakeholders on ways in which refugees can be helped to integrate into countries in the region,
- advocate for governments to find a solution to the situation of stateless persons within their borders,
- ensure that all persons of concern to UNHCR enjoy access to rights, by taking into account age, gender, and diversity, and for governments, partners, and stakeholders in the region to encourage and facilitate the active participation of persons of concern,
- raise awareness of the plight of the millions of refugees around the world and to place refugee and asylum issues on the agenda,
- mobilize financial and other support for the work of UNHCR worldwide.
Featured Image: https://www.oxbridgeacademy.edu.za
Approximate tax-free monthly net salary of SEK 30,000 to 32,000.
- The applicant must be a Swedish National.
- University degree in law, preferably with a focus on human rights, refugee law and/or international humanitarian law.
- At least 4 years (2 years with Advanced University degree) of related professional experience.
- Excellent legal research, analytical and drafting skills.
- Excellent knowledge of English and Swedish.
- Send your application to UNHCR, Sveavägen 166, 113 46 Stockholm, Sweden.
- Submit your application in ENGLISH, personal letter, CV, copies of diplomas/certificates and the ‘P11’ form available at the official link.
- Mark your application “NOB SWE”.
- Applications by email are not accepted.
- Only short-listed will be contacted.
Application Deadline: September 18, 2019 (3 Days Remaining)Apply nowOfficial link