The ASEAN Youth Volunteer Program (AYVP) is a dedicated youth volunteerism platform that intends to create opportunities in knowledge-driven volunteerism, support the exchange of learning experiences, develop capacity, enhance cross-cultural understanding, and forge a sense of regional identity while making a sustainable difference to communities across ASEAN. This strongly aligns with the Strategic Roadmap for an ASEAN Community 2009-2015 in article 5 under the Sociocultural Community, which aims “to lift the quality of life of its peoples through cooperative activities that are people-oriented and environmentally friendly geared towards the promotion of sustainable development, contribute to building a strong foundation for greater understanding, good neighbourliness and a shared sense of responsibility.”
The AYVP also supports the goals in the people-to-people section of the Master Plan on ASEAN Connectivity, which stresses strategies that “provide the needed impetus for concerted efforts in promoting awareness, collaboration, exchange, outreach and advocacy programmes to facilitate the on-going efforts to increase greater interactions between the peoples of ASEAN.” In addition, under engagement with the community in the ASCC Blueprints, one of the strategic objectives is to “explore the establishment of an ASEAN volunteers programme, to be composed of young professionals, with focus on supporting rural development and assisting communities to help themselves.”
In 2022, the AYVP will be virtually implemented through a joint partnership between Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia – The National University of Malaysia (UKM), and Chiang Mai University (CMU) in collaboration with the Association for University Social Engagement Thailand (EnT) and the U2T programme, Ministry of Higher Education, Science, Research and Innovation (MHESI) which focus on Targeted Poverty Alleviation.
e-AYVP Thailand 2022 is also supported by the ASEAN Secretariat and Ministry of Youth and Sports Malaysia. At the end of two weeks, the programme primarily seeks to develop ASEAN Youth Leaders who will implement their own online community development projects in their respective communities.
- AYVP’s main goal is to drive youth volunteerism and community development that involve young people with a targeted demographic age between 18 and 30 (youth from higher education, colleges and working professionals) across ASEAN. Through targeted in-country projects in ASEAN Member States (AMS), the AYVP will provide a dedicated youth volunteerism platform that will facilitate multi-disciplinary, knowledge-driven and/or post-disaster recovery volunteerism projects across the region.
- All AYVP projects will be underpinned by respect, understanding and appreciation of ASEAN values, identity and multi-cultural diversity. The AYVP will therefore support the development of a generation of ASEAN youth instilled with strong minds, solidarity, and kindness to contribute to the development of communities in the region. The AYVP will work in partnership with diverse stakeholders from Higher Education Institutions (HEIs), International Non-Governmental Organizations (INGOs), Civil Society Organizations (CSOs), Government Agencies, Intergovernmental Organizations, and Industries in order to achieve this goal.
- Community Partnership and Involvement,
- Multi-Stakeholder Partnerships (NGOs, government, industry, university),
- Enhancing Youth Competencies (ASEAN Identity, Youth Leadership, Gender Equity),
- Sustainability of the project and
- Support from the Ministry of Youth in respective countries.
- Open to nationals of ASEAN+3 countries: Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Malaysia, Myanmar, Laos, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam, China, Japan, and The Republic of Korea.
- Youth between the ages of 18 to 30.
- Able to fluently communicate in the English language, written and spoken.
- Able to work in multi-cultural settings.
- Able to actively commit throughout the programme. E-Certificate(s) will be provided after the programme is completed.
- Complete all the “required fields” on the online form. Only accepted applicants will be notified via email by 13 June 2022.
Application Deadline: May 31, 2022Application ClosedOfficial link