Interested in learning about the practice of medicine in the Pacific Islands? Well here is your chance!
The Pacific Medical Students’ Association is pleased to invite you to the Southern Hemisphere Medical Camp 2018 in FIJI
Southern Hemisphere Medical Camp is an initiative of the Pacific Medical Students’ Association, bringing medical students and experts from across the Pacific together in the idyllic Fiji. The aim of Pacific Medical Students’ Association is to prepare a generation of global health professionals to face the challenges in the Pacific region through advocacy, networking and collaboration, learning and the acquisition of practical skills. Inaugurated in the year 2017 in Malolo Island, Fiji, the camp turned out to be a huge success with over 100 medical students and 20 world experts attending the event. The key issues discussed in this one week camp were: Climate Change & Natural Disasters; Environmental Health; “Jungle Medicine” & Basic Survival in the Wild; Emergency Medicine; Mental Health. Students also engaged in our host community in sports, a health screen and contributed to infrastructure building projects and revegetation.
- Food – Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner
- Electricity for charging devices
- Transportation picking you from the airport and will take you to the location at Sigatoka, Fiji Islands
- Camping equipment like tents
- Accommodation for participants prior to transfer to camping site
In 2018 The Pacific Medical Students’ Association will build on the success of our inaugural camp by expanding the scope of our program. With a 5-day academic program focusing on
- Students will Analyse NCD after screening- learning about Non-Communicable
- Participants will learn and understand the current problems that are being faced in the tropical climate of the Pacific and future possibilities of disease trends with the changing population and climate.
- Participants will learn about Emergency and Trauma, Mental Health and women empowerment,
- The conference will provide our delegates with not only inspirational speakers, but facilitate outlets for this motivation, providing opportunities to engage in student-run initiatives, collate data for preparation for publication and mentorship in the preparation of papers.
- Practical translatable skills in addition to a day spent providing health screening for our host community
- We will be making the most of our pristine surrounds, challenging our hosts to sporting matches
- Visiting the neighboring Sigatoka Sand Dunes National Park where we will contribute to re-vegetation efforts
- Exploring mountain trails and waterfalls In Fiji
- Visiting the beach as often as if possible and enjoying a good dance with our new friends under the starry Fijian sky.
- And experiencing the Fiji lifestyle under the moonlight
- Medical Students in health-adjacent degrees including public health, allied health, dentistry and nursing from anywhere across the globe who are interested in learning about the practice of medicine in the Pacific Islands.
- They encourage the attendance of allied health students in acknowledgment that it is through collaboration that we will all succeed in our global health ambitions.
- Applicants need to fill in the application form from the Apply Now link and submit it online with requirements.
- Once submitted the organizers will let you know of you acceptance.
- Paces are filling fast, so don’t hesitate to secure your place on the Southern Hemisphere Medical Camp 2018.
- Everyone who applies will have their application thoroughly checked to allow you to be part for this camp in Fiji.
- Participants are expected to carry their own sleeping bags/mats/pillow/torches/towel and toothbrush
Application Deadline: October 31, 2018Application ClosedOfficial link