The ICGEB SMART Fellowship program promotes the mobility of researchers between the ICGEB Member States as a way of enhancing skill development, acquisition of specific hands-on training in new technologies and increasing cooperation in science and technology and should show clear evidence of strong collaboration between the two laboratories.
The program promotes the mobility of researchers between the ICGEB Member States as a way of enhancing skill development, acquisition of specific hands-on training in technologies available in the receiving laboratory and increasing bilateral cooperation in science and technology, and should show clear evidence of strong collaboration between the two laboratories.
The ICGEB Fellowships Selection Committee will evaluate complete applications received by the closing date. The candidates will be notified of the outcome by e-mail as soon as possible following the closing date for applications. The main criteria for selection include scientific excellence of the project, the qualities of the candidate’s CV and the impact on his/her career, the potential benefit for the home and the host country, competence, skills and equipment available in the receiving laboratory. ICGEB will positively value any additional support provided by the receiving institution to the fellow’s living expenses (i.e. a direct contribution for living expenses, guest house accommodation, etc.)
The ICGEB is a unique intergovernmental organization initially established as a special project of UNIDO. Fully autonomous since 1994, it runs 46 state-of-the-art laboratories, in Trieste, Italy, New Delhi, India and Cape Town, South Africa and forms an interactive network with over 65 Member States. It plays a key role in Biotechnology worldwide for excellence in Research, Training and Technology Transfer to industry to contribute in concrete terms to the achievement of sustainable global development and its operations are aligned to those of the United Nations System.
- Awards are for a minimum of 3 to a maximum of 9 months.
- The fellowship covers international economy return travel, health insurance plus subsistence of the fellow only.
- The stipend ranges from US$ 800 to 1,500 per month according to local conditions in the receiving country and seniority of the applicant.
- Additionally, a US$ 500 monthly bench fee can be paid directly to the receiving laboratory based on the recommendation of the ICGEB Fellowships Committee.
- Applications are welcome in any area of the Life Sciences.
- The call is open to nationals of ICGEB Member States and provides fellowships to scientists in the early stage of their career wishing to spend between 3 and 9 months at a research institution in an ICGEB Member State other than their own.
- SMART Fellowships are intended to promote collaboration among researchers in ICGEB Member Countries. Mobility support to laboratories located in Italy, India and South Africa can be considered under exceptional circumstances and only if the research activity proposed is not covered by one of the ICGEB laboratories in Trieste, New Delhi or Cape Town.
- There is no age limit. However, preference is given to young scientists at the beginning of their research career.
- Applicants should be either registered for a Ph.D. or have obtained their Ph.D. degree within the last 5 years.
- Young scientists holding an MSc or equivalent can apply.
- Please complete the application form in all parts and return the form, by email, together with all attachments to: ICGEB Fellowships Unit, ICGEB, Padriciano 99, I-34149 Trieste, ItalyE-mail: [email protected], Tel: +39-040-3757382, Fax: +39-040-226555
- Upon receipt of your application, and only after verification that all the requested documents have been provided, you will receive an e-mail of confirmation from the ICGEB Fellowships Unit ([email protected]).
- Please allow 15 days for the notification as the verification of documents takes some time.
- Only one application per call is accepted for each candidate.
Application Deadline: April 15, 2020Application ClosedOfficial link