Nominations are open for the United Nations Global Call 2019 for the positions of Special Representative of the Secretary-General (SRSG) and deputy Special Representative of the Secretary-General (DSRSG).
The Global Call for Nominations for the positions of Special Representative of the Secretary-General (SRSG) and deputy Special Representative of the Secretary-General (DSRSG) in the United Nations peace operations is an outreach initiative conducted by the United Nations Headquarters. It is managed by the United Nations Leadership Support Section, which is part of the Departments of Political and Peacebuilding Affairs, and Peace Operations. The first call was conducted in 2017.
The Global Call initiative aims to increase and diversify the pool of potential candidates for senior leadership positions in the field, including with a view of advancing gender parity and geographical diversity at the United Nations Senior Leadership level.
Candidates who meet the minimum requirements will, following an internal review process, be included in the senior leadership database (LEAD), the United Nations pool for potential senior candidates. Only those found suitable for specific posts, as and when they arise, will be invited to participate in a competitive selection process.
There are currently 14 peacekeeping operations led by the Department of Peace Operations (DPO). UN Peacekeeping helps countries navigate the difficult path from conflict to peace. They bring unique strengths, including legitimacy, burden sharing, and an ability to deploy troops and police from around the world, integrating them with civilian peacekeepers to address a range of mandates set by the UN Security Council and General Assembly.
Please visit the official link for details.
- Nominations are open to Member States, International, Regional and Non-governmental Organizations which can nominate up to four individuals with the required level of expertise, leadership skills and motivation to serve in senior leadership functions in United Nations field missions.
- Individuals can also nominate themselves as long as the same requirements are met.
SRSGs are appointed by the Secretary-General. They report to the Secretary-General through the Head of the Department overseeing the field mission. In recognition of the highly complex nature of these mission leadership posts, the United Nations is seeking individuals with:
- A minimum of 20 years of relevant professional experience, including at least 5 years at senior and representational level, in conflict, post-conflict, peacekeeping, peacebuilding, development settings, and/or experience in governance, mediation, facilitation and/or negotiations at the national and/or international level.
- Demonstrated knowledge in reconciliation, conflict resolution, humanitarian, peacekeeping, development, human rights, rule of law and/or governance issues.
- Demonstrated leadership experience with strategic vision and proven skills in leading complex organizations, such as intergovernmental, international non-governmental or multinational private sector entities.
- A high degree of emotional intelligence, political acumen and diplomatic skills.
- Excellent communication and advocacy skills.
- Proven ability to inspire, build trust, confidence and consensus amongst stakeholders and foster partnerships at the local, national or regional level to create opportunities and promote processes to advance peace and security.
- High commitment to the values and guiding principles of the United Nations, including impeccable personal integrity, respect for and commitment to human rights and demonstrated cultural and gender sensitivity.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-cultural team and establish harmonious and effective working relationships both within and outside the organization.
- Familiarity with the United Nations system, including peacekeeping, humanitarian and developments settings, as well as knowledge of the Sustainable Development Goals.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this Call for Nominations, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another United Nations official language, in particular Arabic, French, or Spanish, is an advantage given the areas of deployment of United Nations field missions.
Apply online through the given link.
Application Deadline: October 1, 2019 (15 Days Remaining)Apply nowOfficial link