Microsoft is looking for highly motivated and passionate Data Scientists to apply rigorous scientific methodology and algorithms to data in order to improve Microsoft’s devices, operating systems, and services.
Data Scientists at Microsoft help to improve the quality of experiences on the devices and services of Microsoft. As a Data Scientist, the employee will provide unique insight into business and customer scenarios that cut across organizational boundaries and lead the growth of a data-driven culture within Microsoft.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- As a Data Scientist, the candidate will formulate approaches to solve problems using well-defined algorithms and data sources. He/she will incorporate an understanding of product functionality and customer perspective to provide context for those problems.
- He/she will use data exploration techniques to discover new questions or opportunities within his/her problem area and propose applicability and limitations of the data. Successful Data Scientists will interpret the results of their analysis, validate their approach, and learn to monitor, analyze, and iterate to continuously improve.
- The employees will also engage with peer stakeholders to produce clear, compelling, actionable insights that influence product and service improvements that will impact millions of customers.
- As a Data Scientist, he/she will also engage in the peer review process and act on feedback while learning innovative methods, algorithms, and tools to increase the impact and applicability of the results.
- Moreover, the position may require the incumbent to travel for work around 25% (at most) of the time.
Note: Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
The employees will be provided with the following benefits:
- Industry leading healthcare
- Savings and investments
- Giving programs
- Educational resources
- Maternity and paternity leave
- Opportunities to network and connect
- Discounts on products and services
- Generous time away
The applicants are required to meet the following eligibility requirements.
- Currently has or is in the process of obtaining their BA/BS or Masters in Computer Science, Mathematics, Economics, Statistics, Applied Sciences like Biostatistics, Physics, Chemistry, Computational Neurology
- Some Engineering experience and or project course work using large data systems on SQL, Hadoop, etc.
- Proficiency using one or more programming or scripting language to work with data such as: Python, Perl, or C#.
- Some experience and or project course work performing data analysis and applying statistics working with tools such as: Excel, R, MATLAB, AMPL, or SAS.
- Some experience and or project course work with product and service telemetry systems.
- Some A/B Testing or experimentation (this can be from conducting real life science experiments, hypothesis testing in stats etc.) Not required but ideal.
- Some experience or course work applying basic ML to a type of data and or used algorithms to conduct experiments on data. Machine Learning strongly encouraged.
- Passion to learn from peers, manager, and other stakeholders in the Data Science domain.
- Ability to interact with peers and stakeholders to drive product and business impact.
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills.