The Asian Development Bank (ADB) is a regional development bank established on 19 December 1966, which is headquartered in the Ortigas Center located in the city of Mandaluyong, Metro Manila, Philippines. The bank also maintains 31 field offices around the world to promote social and economic development in Asia. The bank admits the members of the UN Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (UNESCAP, formerly the Economic Commission for Asia and the Far East or ECAFE), and non-regional developed countries. Starting with 31 members at its establishment, ADB now has 68 members.
The ADB was modeled closely on the World Bank and has a similar weighted voting system, where votes are distributed in proportion with members’ capital subscriptions. ADB releases an annual report that summarizes its operations, budget, and other materials for review by the public. The ADB-Japan Scholarship Program (ADB-JSP) enrolls about 300 students annually in academic institutions located in 10 countries within the Region. After completing their study programs, scholars are expected to contribute to the economic and social development of their home countries. ADB holds the status of an official United Nations Observer.
As of 31 December 2020, Japan and the United States each holds the largest proportion of shares at 15.571%. China holds 6.429%, India holds 6.317%, and Australia holds 5.773%.
The Young Professionals Program (YPP) is an entry-level recruitment program aimed at attracting highly qualified and motivated individuals to ADB. YPP provides the foundation for a challenging and rewarding professional career in an international development environment and offers a wide range of opportunities to develop professional skills and understanding of ADB’s operations, policies, and procedures. Under a structured talent management program, Young Professionals (YPs) will contribute to the achievement of ADB’s Strategy 2030.
As a Young professional (YP), candidates will be offered a fixed-term appointment of 3 years. They will initially be placed in an operations/operations support department in ADB headquarters in Manila, Philippines, where they can gain foundational experience of ADB’s operations. After 18 months, they will be assigned to another area within ADB as a rotational assignment. The rotational assignment will be carried out in a field related to the initial placement whereby they are expected to broaden their experience and deepen their knowledge on the subject matter.
Throughout the program, they will be offered a variety of development opportunities – they will also have the opportunity to participate in missions for activities in fact-finding and appraisal, project review and completion, country programming, sector and policy studies, or disbursement. In addition, they will be entitled to a number of learning programs, both in-house and external, some specifically designed to cater to your needs as a Young Professional.
Towards the end of the 3-years, ADB’s aspiration is that their graduating YPs will choose to stay and have a rewarding and accomplished career path, and ultimately evolve into future leaders of ADB.
- Selected applicants will be offered a fixed-term appointment of 3 years.
- Throughout the program, selected applicants will be offered a variety of development opportunities through which they will be able to broaden their experience and deepen their knowledge on the subject matter.
- All YPs must meet the following minimum criteria:
- Be 32 years old and below by 1 August 2024
- Be a national of one of ADB’s members
- Hold at least a first-level university degree with proven academic track record in a field relevant to the job role
- Have at least 3 years of professional experience relevant to ADB
- Successful applicants demonstrate:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Strong passion and commitment to development work
- Willingness to learn and be agile
- Strong interpersonal skills
- The application opens early September. Interested individuals can apply online through the “Careers at ADB” website.
Application Deadline: September 30, 2023Application ClosedOfficial link