UNOPS is currently seeking to fill intern positions in Social and Environmental Management
The internship is based in the Health, Safety, Social, and Environmental (HSSE) Management team, and will focus on Social and Environmental management activities. The unit falls under the UNOPS Shared Services Centre (SSC) Group in UNOPS Headquarters. Among other activities, the Unit is responsible for supporting the development and implementation of Social and Environmental (SE) good practices in UNOPS projects and operations in line with UNOPS policies, UN common system standards, and international best practices.
The successful candidate will be responsible for supporting a variety of tasks, work packages, and projects dealing with SE management as a part of their internship period. They are seeking qualified applicants who may have Environmental Management, Social Development Studies, Sustainability, Engineering, or a related subject as background. The intern will join a dynamic, international environment, and will have access to a variety of training and learning opportunities available in UNOPS HQ.
The main duties of the intern will be:
- Support in the continuous development of the social and environmental management system tools and documents;
- Provide maintenance, update, and graphic improvements to the documents and management tools used by the team;
- Research and information/data collection on social and environmental topics/trends;
- Support compilation of best practices in SE from within and outside UNOPS;
- Assist with the preparation of reports, presentations, meeting minutes, and other documents;
- Assist with HSSE training support, preparation of workshops, and development of training material;
- Support with awareness raising and outreach initiatives;
- Contribute to maintenance and updating of the SE intranet site;
- Any other duties in support of the team and of the Shared Services Centre.
The internship programme offers unique learning opportunities for interns, exposing them to the work of the United Nations, and enriching their educational experience through practical work in an international organization, with a focus on social and environmental management.
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations that supports the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) by successfully implementing its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian, and development projects around the world.
Their mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve peace and sustainable development.
The UNOPS family brings together approximately 160 nationalities, represented by over 5,000 UNOPS personnel as well as some 7,800 personnel recruited on behalf of their partners. Spread across 80 countries, their workforce is rich in diversity and culture, with inclusion at its core.
- A monthly stipend (currently USD 1300 in Copenhagen) from UNOPS. (Provided that interns do not receive funds from other institutions.)
- A one-time travel lumpsum of 300, 500, or 800 USD (depending on the location at the moment of being selected for the position).
- Increased understanding of the UN system
- Increased understanding of Social and Environmental Management in the UN
- Learning different aspects of climate, safeguards, and social/environmental management in an international environment
- Meeting and networking with UN City colleagues, UN City Interns, and other UNOPS colleagues around the globe
- Work as a team member in a multicultural setting
- Graduated with a relevant University degree in the past three years or be studying towards a university degree in Environmental Management, Social Development Studies, Sustainability, Engineering, or other relevant disciplines; or have graduated with a relevant University degree in the past three years
- Some experience in social and environmental management, or in project management will be considered an asset
- Advanced competency in Google Suite or similar (particularly with G-Sheet or other spreadsheets)
- Good competence with and previous experience using Google Data Studio is an asset
- Good competence with data analytics and predictive models is an asset
- An environmental/social management professional certification is an asset
- Fluency in English
- Knowledge of French and/or Spanish would be considered an asset
Eligible Regions: Open for All
- Register at the UNOPS job portal available at https://jobs.unops.org/Pages/Account/Login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fpages%2fViewVacancy%2fApplyVacancy.aspx%3fid%3d25289&id=25289
- Login at the UNOPS job portal available at https://jobs.unops.org/Pages/Account/Login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fpages%2fViewVacancy%2fApplyVacancy.aspx%3fid%3d25289&id=25289 to make an application
Application Deadline: February 10, 2023Application ClosedOfficial link