UNCDF is seeking an intern to be part of the Partnerships, Policy, and Communications Unit (PPC) in its Headquarters in New York, United States. Working under the guidance and supervision of the Head of PPC, and working closely with PPC staff, the intern will support the ongoing work plan and goals of the unit, including but not limited to expanding partnerships; preparing policy briefs for high-level meetings; supporting the launch of major initiatives on blended finance and enterprises in Africa; and building and maintaining a base of knowledge about the Member States.
The UN Capital Development Fund makes public and private finance work for the poor in 46 least-developed countries (LDCs).
UNCDF offers “last mile” finance models that unlock public and private resources, especially at the domestic level, to reduce poverty and support local economic development.
UNCDF pursues innovative financing solutions through (1) financial inclusion, which expands the opportunities for individuals, households, and small and medium-sized enterprises to participate in the local economy, while also providing differentiated products for women and men so they can climb out of poverty and manage their financial lives; (2) local development finance, which shows how fiscal decentralization, innovative municipal finance, and structured project finance can drive public and private funding that underpins local economic expansion, women’s economic empowerment, climate adaptation, and sustainable development; and (3) a least developed countries investment platform that deploys a tailored set of financial instruments to a growing pipeline of impactful projects in the “missing middle.’’
Under the supervision of the Head of the Partnerships, Policy, and Communications PPC Unit, and in close collaboration with the Sustainable Finance and Partnerships Specialist in the PPC Unit, the intern will assist in any of the following tasks:
- Support to Strategic advocacy and partnership development;
- Support for the creation of new innovative finance vehicles and instruments;
- Support to the mobilization of core and non-core resources;
- Support to effective Internal and External Donor Relations;
- Support the facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing.
Interns will receive
- training, guidance, and support that are necessary to complete the duties and responsibilities effectively and within the internship period.
- Candidate must be enrolled in a degree programme in Business Administration, Economic Development, Economics, Finance, or another related field.
Applicants to the UNCDF internship programme must at the time of application meet one of the following requirements:
- Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher);
- Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent);
- Have graduated with a university degree (as defined above) and, if selected, must start the internship within one year of graduation.
- Experience creating presentations, creating Excel files and writing papers that capture complex concepts and put them into simple language;
- Experience in working on financial transactions or creating financial models;
- Experience in a consulting firm or an investment bank will be an added advantage;
- Self-starter; organized; able to multitask, balance multiple responsibilities, and work to a deadline.
Please note that the UNDP job site system allows only one uploading of application documents, so please make sure that you merge all your documents (CV/ Resume, Cover Letter, etc. into a single file before uploading).
- In your application, please state in one paragraph why you would like to be considered for the internship and your primary motivation to apply for this role;
- Please note that you will need to answer the mandatory questions on timeframe and availability (under the Additional Questions section), which is a part of the internship application process, in addition to your cover letter.
- Please submit your Resume/CV and an application using the UNCDF Internship Application form
- Applications should include the application form and the latest resume. Applicants are welcome to submit any additional work samples or portfolios in one single file, preferably PDF.
- Interested candidates can apply at any time indicating the timeframe of their availability in the internship form. However, only those candidates selected for interviews / further assessment by hiring managers will be contacted.
Application Deadline: December 1, 2023Application ClosedOfficial link