The application period for the 2020 UN Young Professionals Programme (YPP) exams is now open.
The Young Professionals Programme (YPP) is a recruitment initiative for talented, highly qualified professionals to start a career as an international civil servant with the United Nations Secretariat. It consists of an entrance examination and professional development programmes once successful candidates start their career with the UN. It is a two years internship for young professionals under UN Young Professionals Programme.
Depending on the staffing needs of the United Nations, applicants are invited to apply for different exam subjects. Descriptions of responsibilities, expected competencies and education requirements differ depending on the area.
The world looks to the United Nations for solutions to complex problems everywhere; from ending conflict and alleviating poverty, to combating climate change and defending human rights. The issues on their agenda are manifold and diverse as are the careers they offer. Among their ranks, you will find staff members who monitor elections, disarm child soldiers, coordinate relief in humanitarian crises and provide administrative as well as logistical support to carry out complex mandates. These are just a few examples amongst many other equally critical and necessary functions.
The wide array of jobs means that you may change functions, departments, geographic locations, and even organizations or fields of work throughout your career in the Organization.
Does making a difference motivate you? Are you selfless and driven to be a part of a bigger purpose in the service of humanity? And, are hope and strength of character attributes which will guide your zeal to make a difference in a complex world?
Are you the type of person who will travel and work anywhere at a moment’s notice?
Do you thrive in an environment that is truly international and multi-cultural, which respects as well as promotes diversity and functions at its best through the efforts of teams of different people?
These are some of the characteristics that you will find in UN staff. They want people with integrity. People who are fair, impartial, honest and truthful. They want dynamic and adaptable persons who are not afraid to think creatively, to be proactive, flexible and responsive.
If you think you embody these values then this is the place for you and your career. Apply for UN Young Professionals Programme.
- ROSTER AND PLACEMENT: Young professionals who pass the examination will be placed in the roster of successful YPP candidates. They will be eligible for consideration for positions at P-2 level in any UN Secretariat duty station or peacekeeping operation. Job offers to successful candidates are made on an ongoing basis, but placement takes place on a quarterly basis and is conducted centrally 4 times a year. Candidates who refuse to participate in the placement exercise will be removed from the roster. The list of successful YPP candidates in the roster has a lifespan of two years from the beginning of the first quarterly placement taking place following the conclusion of the examination cycle. The UN warns that although every effort will be made to secure employment for successful YPP candidates, it cannot guarantee them a job. Placement from the roster is done in accordance with the needs of the Organisation and with the availability of positions.
- ASSIGNMENTS AND ROTATION: First assignment. Initially, the selected candidate will be appointed for two years (Initial assignment). Prior to the beginning of the initial assignment, candidates will attend a two-week orientation programme. Second assignment. After the end of the first assignment, the candidate will be appointed for the second assignment in a different duty station.
- REMUNERATION AND BENEFITS: Young professionals who passed the UN YPP examination and got employed in the United Nations receive an attractive remuneration package with competitive pay and benefits. According to the official UN data, an average salary for the entry-level (P-2/P-3) position in New York varies from $63,625 to $105,300 per year.
- The YPP examination is held once a year and is open to nationals of countries participating in the annual recruitment exercise. The list of participating countries is published annually and varies from year to year.
- You must have the nationality of a participating country.
- You must hold at least a first-level university degree relevant for the exam subject you are applying for.
- You must be 32 or younger in the year of the examination.
- You must be fluent in either English or French.
- Candidates who meet all requirements are invited to submit an application for the YPP 2020 online. You will need to enter all the information about your background in the Personal History Profile (PHP) form in Inspira, which is a specific recruitment system of the United Nations, and submit it to the YPP 2020 job opening during the application period.
- You may start drafting your application in Inspira now, review it to make sure your background is listed as required and presents you as a strong candidate for the UN YPP 2020, and submit it at any time before the deadline.
- Remember that you can apply for one UN YPP 2020 job opening only. Review the job openings carefully and select the one which is the best fit for your back group and interests. The job openings can be accessed on the UN Careers Portal and in Inspira with the following application numbers:
- Management & Administration: job opening # 138630
- Global Communications: job opening # 138706
- Political Affairs & Human Rights: job opening # 138708
Application Deadline: October 31, 2020 (6 Days Remaining)Apply nowOfficial link