UN volunteering is an opportunity to create a positive impact and be a significant force for achieving peace and development.
Volunteering abroad is an unbeatable opportunity to serve as a global citizen. s promote peace and development in communities around the globe while upholding the ideals and aspirations of the United Nations.
The first step to volunteering abroad with the UN is to meet the minimum requirements. If this is the case, then one can register own profile in the Unified Volunteering Platform and apply for assignments that are in high demand or even in highly specialized areas.
International UN Volunteers come from 160 countries, representing diverse cultures and countries. They bring a wide variety of perspectives and approaches, which lend dynamism to the volunteering assignment.
Volunteering abroad is an unparalleled opportunity to do something meaningful and to support peace and development initiatives in countries that need them most. By giving back, you will gain an incredible sense of fulfillment and will reap the dividends for the rest of your life.
International UN Volunteers support local volunteer initiatives, strengthen community capacities, foster ownership and sustainability of development activities, and contribute toward the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
International UN Volunteer assignments may generally run from three to 12 months, with the possibility of extending contracts up to a maximum period of four years. UN Youth Volunteers may serve from six months to two years, and UN University Volunteers from three to six months.
The United Nations Volunteers (UNV) program contributes to peace and development through volunteerism worldwide. We provide qualified, highly motivated UN Volunteers to support the work of the United Nations system, to achieve the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. In all assignments, UN Volunteers promote volunteerism through their actions and conduct. The Conditions of Service (COS) form the basis of the policies and rules that regulate the UN Volunteer assignment.
- A certain allowance to sustain a secure standard of living during assignments.
- The opportunity to learn about different cultures and languages.
- The opportunity to expand networks and gain unmatched professional and life experiences.
- The opportunity to step outside the comfort zone, learn new approaches to tasks and problems, and operate in different environments.
- The opportunity of making curriculum vitae stand out.
- The age range for UN Youth Volunteers and UN University Volunteers is 18-26 years, for UN Volunteer specialists it is 27-80 years of age, while for UN Expert Volunteers the age range is 35-80 years.
- A higher technical diploma, Bachelor’s, or Master’s degree is required for most assignments.
- UN Youth Volunteers and University Volunteers are required to have 0-3 years of experience, UN Volunteer specialists 3-15 years, and UN Expert Volunteers 15 years of experience and above.
- Must have a good working knowledge of at least one of UNV’s three working languages: English, French, or Spanish.
- Must demonstrate a strong commitment to the values and principles of volunteering and respect for diversity.
- Must bring strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Must have the ability and willingness to work in a multicultural environment and to draw upon synergies between proposed solutions and local expertise.
- Must be able to adjust to changing, and at times difficult, living and working conditions.
- Candidates need to register in UNV Global Talent Pool to apply for assignments.
- After completing registration, candidates have to log in and apply for assignments. (UN Volunteer assignments are advertised on the Unified Volunteering Platform.)