The Statistics Division internship is for at least two months with an opportunity for extension up to six months, depending on the needs of the division.
The internship is UNPAID and full-time.
Interns work five days per week (35 hours) under the supervision of a staff member in the department or office to which they are assigned.
The ESCAP Statistics Division is guided by the Fundamental Principles of Official Statistics and the Principles Governing International Statistical Activities, and by the work programme and the membership of ESCAP. Our mandates arise from a number of General Assembly, ECOSOC and ESCAP resolutions.
The core areas of the Division’s work include implementing programmes for capacity building in statistics; collecting and analysing data on the region; and publishing statistical and analytical publications. We work closely with the ESCAP Statistical Institute for Asia and the Pacific and organizations that are part of national statistics systems in the region (national statistical offices are our main counterparts); the United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs; other United Nations entities; and with a large number of regional and international organizations that have a mandate in statistics.
- Demonstrate understanding of conceptual and methodological issues related to the work in the relevant field of statistics.
- Demonstrate understanding of the current state of development and country needs in the areas of statistics in the Asia and the Pacific region.
- Develop project profiles and documents based on UN standards.
- Conduct empirical research and write project reports and papers in the context of an international organization.
- Use statistical software and econometric methods in the analysis of various types of data.
- Coordinate and work effectively in an international environment.
- Education: To qualify for an internship with the United Nations Internship Programme, applicants to the programme must at the time of application meet one of the following requirements:
- be enrolled in, or have completed, a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); or
- be enrolled in, or have completed, the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum bachelor’s level or equivalent).
- Work Experience: No working experience is required to apply for the United Nations Internship Programme. Your training, education, advance course work or skills should benefit the United Nations during your internship.
- Languages: English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. Fluency in spoken and written English is required for the internship. Knowledge of an additional official UN language is an asset. Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian and Spanish are the official languages of the United Nations Secretariat.
- Assessment. Potential candidates will be contacted by hiring manager directly for further consideration.
- Special Notice
- REMOTE INTERNSHIPS (COVID-19): In the context of the COVID-19 pandemic, applicants may be requested to undertake the internship remotely in view of constraints regarding visa issuance, international travel and access to UN premises. Applicants must be willing and prepared to undertake the internship remotely for a part or the entirety of the internship.
Eligible Regions: Not Fixed
- A completed online application (Cover Note and Candidate Profile) is required. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
- The Cover Note should include:
- Degree Programme (What are you currently studying or what have you studied)
- Graduation date (When will you graduate or when did you graduate from the programme)
- List of the IT skills and programmes that you are proficient in
- List of your top three areas of interest
- Explanation of why you are the most suitable candidate for this specific internship
- Explanation of your interest in the United Nations Internship Programme
- In your online Candidate Profile, be sure to include all past work experiences (if any), IT skills, and three references.
Application Deadline: July 22, 2023 (44 Days Remaining)Apply nowOfficial link