The Policy and Humanitarian Diplomacy Division of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) offer five traineeship positions for a period of one year, starting either in January, February or March 2018. The ICRC’s Policy and Humanitarian Diplomacy Division is part of the Department of International Law and Policy, and plays a central role in developing and delivering the main institutional policy and diplomacy objectives of the ICRC as well as overseeing the ICRC’s delegation in New York.
Under the supervision of a Diplomatic or Policy Adviser, the post holder will be responsible for:
- Analysing humanitarian trends, issues and policy developments;
- Preparing/attending conferences, seminars and bilateral meetings;
- Conducting research, writing speeches/speaking points, drafting reports, taking minutes of meetings;
- Informing ICRC delegations in the field about a variety of international issues;
- Assisting with the day-to-day management of relations with international organisations and UN agencies, regional organisations, major international NGOs and humanitarian think-tanks;
- It’s paid traineeship.
Qualifications: ICRC are looking for candidates who meet the following mandatory requirements:
- A Master’s degree in a relevant field (e.g. international relations, international politics, international law, humanitarian action, development, peace/conflict studies, etc.).
- Knowledge or good understanding of at least one of the regions and issues from a humanitarian perspective.
- Excellent English and a good command of at least one of the following languages: Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish. Additional languages are an asset.
- Minimum of 6 months full-time prior experience with an international organisation, an NGO or within the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, and no more than 2 years of relevant experience.
- A manifest interest for humanitarian action/issues and/or the ICRC.
- A demonstrated interest in international affairs and diplomacy.
- Available for 1 year, starting in either January, February or March 2018.
If you do not fulfil the conditions above, your application will not be considered.
- Understanding of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, including its structure, policies, approaches, etc.;
- Any relevant publications;
- Experience in diplomatic and/or inter-agency work;
- Field experience.
- The ability to think strategically, to express ideas clearly, both orally and in writing, and to work independently and as part of a team.
- Capacity for research and analytical writing.
- Flexibility and the ability to assist with a variety of tasks based on the needs of the Division.
Interested candidates should send their complete application in Word or PDF format (cover letter of no more than 700 words and CV), in English to: [email protected] (quote reference number: DP_POL2018). Any documents other than the two listed above will not be considered.
In you cover letter, please answer the following questions:
- How does your background and previous experience relate to this position?
- What is your interest in applying to this position at the ICRC?Which added value can you bring to the Division and the ICRC?
- What are your career plans for the future?
- Do you have any preferences for regions and/or issues which you would like to follow? (NB: this will not be taken into account in your selection process, but used further in the recruitment).
Please be aware that the ICRC has other Traineeship positions with separate application processes (for further information see the ICRC website). The application process for delegates is also a separate one. No information on these can be provided.
Late or incomplete applications, as well as those that do not meet the stated mandatory requirements, will not be considered. Please refrain from applying if you do not fulfill the mandatory criteria listed above.
Owing to the high number of applications, only the selected candidates will be contacted in September 2017 for a written test, which will be followed by a phone interview in late September/October.
Application Deadline: August 7, 2017Application ClosedOfficial link