The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) works worldwide to provide humanitarian assistance to people affected by conflict and armed violence. They take action in response to emergencies and at the same time promote respect for international humanitarian law. ICRC is an independent and neutral organization, and its mandate stems essentially from the Geneva Conventions of 1949. They work closely with National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies and with their International Federation in order to ensure a concerted, rational, and rapid humanitarian response to the needs of the victims of armed conflict or any other situation of internal violence. They direct and coordinate the international activities conducted in these situations.
The Global Protection Affairs Unit (Prot Glob) acts as a focal point for protection issues related to global counter-terrorism measures and global actors’ extraterritorial activities. The Unit supports ICRC delegations to develop their protection strategies by sharing experiences and tools, by analyzing current trends in counter-terrorism measures, and by developing the ICRC’s protection programs in accordance with those trends.
Accountabilities & Functional Responsibilities:
- Support and contribute to the Unit’s analytical and advisory roles
- Assist directly on specific files, particularly support to Foreign Fighter and their Families file, dialogue with Global actors and former Guantanamo Bay detainees
- Communicate with various field delegations to assist them with their work
- Participate in the research and development of the Unit’s projects on issues stemming from counter-terrorism by carrying out information collection, synthesis, and summarization
- Take part in the creation and maintenance of information-sharing tools
- Be responsible for the administration within the Unit
- Organize and maintain electronic and paper records
- Take part in planning and organizing the Unit’s meetings and workshops, in coordination with other Units
Apply for the traineeship now!
Gross monthly salary: 3000 CHF.
- Only individuals enrolled in higher education or who have recently completed their studies are eligible to be trainees/associates.
- For candidates to be eligible they must have a maximum of one year’s professional experience after graduation (relating to the post) or two years if they have been in previous traineeships.
- University degree in Law, Political Science, or related field is required.
- Similarly, strongly motivated by humanitarian work
- Interest in Protection issues and knowledge in operations and strategies used for Global Counter-Terrorism measures
- Fluent written and spoken English and French, native speakers an advantage. Knowledge of Arabic is an asset.
- Excellent research, analysis, and synthesis skills
- Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team and with colleagues at a distance
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Experience within the Red Cross/Red Crescent Movement an asset.
Apply through the given link.
Application Deadline: April 30, 2020Application ClosedOfficial link