The Research in Industrial Projects for Students (RIPS) provides an opportunity for talented undergraduate students to work in teams on real-world research projects proposed by sponsors from industry or the public sector. Each student team, with support from their academic mentor and industry mentor, will research the problem and present the results, both orally and in writing, at the end of the program. Subsequent to the RIPS program, some student teams choose to publish their results, or present them at national conferences. IPAM provides each undergraduate student with a wide range of support and incentives
RIPS is a program for students who are enrolled in or have just completed an undergraduate (bachelor’s) degree. Recent graduates who have received their degree no earlier than December 2022 may apply for RIPS 2023. Students with a strong background in mathematics and an interest in seeing how mathematics is used in the real world are encouraged to apply. Most of the projects have a significant computational component so proficiency (or at least some experience) in computer science, data analysis, or numerical computation is valuable, but not necessary for everyone. Competition is high for the limited slots available. International students are eligible to apply for RIPS-LA.
The program emphasizes research, of course, but this is just part of it. You will experience group work, perhaps for the first time, and learn to navigate the team environment. In addition, there is a significant emphasis on the presentation of your research. You will write a formal final report for your “client” (the industry sponsor) as well as prepare and give midterm and final presentations of your work to an audience that includes students, faculty, industry professionals, and others. The last two weeks of the program are devoted to the final report and presentation, culminating in “Projects Day” and your site visit to your sponsor’s office, lab, or facility.
- A stipend of $4,000
- Travel allowance
- Housing and meals on campus
- Site-visit with sponsors (subject to confirmation)
- Limited partial support for future travel to select conferences
- Students who are enrolled in an undergraduate (bachelor’s) degree.
- Recent graduates who have received their degree no earlier than December 2022.
- Foreign students (studying in the US or abroad) are eligible.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
To apply for RIPS Los Angeles, visit: https://www.mathprograms.org/db/programs/1373 and follow the steps below:
- Review the program description/requirements and click on “Apply.”
- Login using your email address, choose your own password and check the “this is my first login…” checkbox on your first login.
- After login, fill out the Standard Coversheet. Make sure to enter your two reference writers.
- Click on “submit” and you will be redirected to the RIPS application form.
- Fill out the RIPS application form. For the “US VISA Status” question, select your country of citizenship.
- Also, make sure to check the box of the program(s) you would like to be considered for (Los Angeles, Singapore, or both). International students are only eligible for RIPS-LA.
- Make sure to submit/upload all the required documents: your resume/CV, transcripts (can be unofficial), and select two reference writers for this program.
- Make sure to check the boxes next to your reference writers’ names and click on the green arrow to send them an email request for a tailored reference letter (the system will email them the reference letter requests). Your reference writers won’t receive any letter requests unless you click on the green arrow and the status next to their names changed to “email sent.”
- Once you complete the application form and upload the required documents, click on “Apply.”Your submission is successful only if you see the “Thank you for submitting your application” screen right after submitting the form that states your application is complete and all required items have been submitted.
- You can check your Status page to see any status updates, and to see if your application is complete or to update it.
Application Deadline: February 14, 2023 (10 Days Remaining)Apply nowOfficial link