Applications are invited for the United Nations University paid PhD internship opportunity in Helsinki, Finland. UNU-WIDER will provide monthly stipend of EUR 1,600, travel grant, medical insurance.
PhD Internship Programme gives registered doctoral students an opportunity to utilize the resources and facilities at UNU-WIDER for their PhD dissertation or thesis research, and to work with UNU-WIDER researchers in areas of mutual interest.
PhD interns typically spend 3 consecutive months at UNU-WIDER and are expected to return to their home institution afterwards. During their time in Helsinki, PhD interns prepare one or more research papers and present a seminar on their research findings. PhD interns may also have the opportunity to publish their research in the WIDER Working Paper Series.
UNU-WIDER provides the following:
- Travel grant to cover the costs of travel to and from the location of your PhD granting institution;
- Medical insurance (for medical and hospital services resulting from sickness and accident during your stay at UNU-WIDER);
- A monthly stipend of EUR 1,600 to cover living expenses in Helsinki during the period of their internship.
- Applicants must be enrolled in a PhD programme and have shown ability to conduct research on developing economies;
- Candidates working in other social sciences may apply but should keep in mind that UNU-WIDER is an economics-focused institute;
- Candidates should be fluent in oral and written English and possess excellent quantitative and qualitative analytical skills;
- Preference is given to applicants who are living or working in developing countries and who are at later stages of the PhD.
UNU-WIDER only receives online applications for the PhD Internship Programme twice each year. Deadlines for submission of applications are 31 March and 30 September 23:59 UTC+3 each year. When applying in September, you would be visiting UNU-WIDER in the period February-June of the following year and when applying in March, you would be visiting UNU-WIDER in the period August-November of the same year.
Application Deadline: March 31, 2017Application ClosedOfficial link