Applications are open for OIST Research Internship Program 2021 in Japan. The OIST Graduate School offers education and research opportunities through a system of undergraduate and graduate placements as Research Interns. These 2-6 month placements allow gaining experience in a particular laboratory or to learn a specific technique. Interns work under the direction of a Professor at OIST and contribute to the research activities of OIST. The specific assignment of duties is at the discretion of the PI and is subject to change.
Places for Research Internships are awarded twice a year on a competitive basis, with the application period months in advance.
OIST is a university with no departments, eliminating artificial barriers between people working in a wide variety of fields including Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Neuroscience, Mathematics, Computational Science, Environmental, Ecological and Marine Sciences. OIST is bringing brilliant minds from all over the world to Okinawa and provides them with stable funding and excellent resources to transform the way science, research, education and innovation are done globally.
OIST provides centralized research resources and technical support, creating an exciting and enabling environment for researchers. At OIST, they have all manner of state-of-the-art devices, suitable for any field, with a strong emphasis on imaging techniques material preparation and characterization, and the best genomics and computing facilities in Japan.
Graduate students at OIST have access to outstanding laboratory facilities and all the equipment you need to get you to the cutting edge in your research. The newly completed laboratory buildings are state-of-the-art, and very well equipped for all research requirements. Instrumentation is available for observation from nanoscale dimensions to large ecosystems, with equal access for students and research staff. Apply for the fully-funded Research Internship now!
OIST provides a living allowance, commuting support where necessary, and accommodation either on campus or nearby. Successful applicants will receive a Living Allowance of 2,400 JPY per day (weekends excluded) while at OIST.
- Travel Expenses
OIST will pay for one direct roundtrip travel for Research Interns between the home university or institution and the research unit or other facilities where the internship will take place (primarily in Okinawa). The travel dates must be as close as possible to the term of the placement. Travel for successful applicants is arranged by the OIST Graduate School.
- Other Support
The Student Support Section of the Graduate School will provide support for Research Interns at OIST with matters such as housing, visa acquisition, insurance procedures, and local registration. OIST regrets that support for dependents, family members, and persons other than the student is not available.
- Applicants who intend to import biological or hazardous material for their research are urged to ensure that such import is in compliance with all regulations of their home country, any country of transit, and of Japan, and to complete all necessary paperwork for importation well ahead of time.
- Detailed regulations pertaining to matters of payment, intellectual property rights, attendance, health and safety, and other matters have been drawn up and will be made available to successful applicants.
- Those eligible to apply for the OIST Research Internship Program include excellent students enrolled in undergraduate or Masters programs in universities, colleges, junior colleges, and vocational schools in Japan or overseas, or recent graduates of such institutions.
- Currently, enrolled students must have approval from their home institution.
- Academic background of applicants should be appropriate to their desired host unit(s) at OIST.
- Graduate School funded internships are highly competitive and are only awarded to outstanding applicants who are in the final 2 years of their academic program, or are recent graduates within the past year before the application deadline.
- In some cases, additional internship positions may be offered directly by OIST faculty to other outstanding applicants, particularly for those with highly-developed skills relevant to the group’s research.
Applications to the program must be made through the online form.
- You will receive an auto-notification that your application has been received. (Please check your settings to ensure you can receive emails from addresses [email protected]).
- Following the application period, applications will be screened and selection will be completed.
- Notification will be sent to successful applicants by 3 months after the deadline, at the latest.
- Following final confirmation of internship offers, all necessary arrangements will be made, in cooperation with the interns. Your cooperation is required for timely completion of logistics to begin the internship, including possible visa preparations and other necessary Japanese government documentation.
- Round 2: Starting between April – September; Deadline: October 15th.
Application Deadline: October 15, 2020 (21 Days Remaining)Apply nowOfficial link