National Institute of Genetics (NIG)/ Department of Genetics, SOKENDAI is accepting application for a research internship program for undergraduate and postgraduate students who wish to gain research experience in genetics and related fields in life sciences. Intern students will conduct independent research under the mentorship of a host investigator at NIG.
The program includes training on scientific research, scientific communication, and lab visits to discuss with individual principal investigators. At the end of the program, participants will give a presentation on their experience as the “NIGINTERN Reports Symposium”. NIG will issue a certificate to those who have successfully completed the program. Interns can also participate in various activities such as graduate program lectures, journal clubs, and seminars by outstanding researchers from inside and outside of NIG. Japanese language classes are also available.
The duration for this Internship is One Month and a good thing about NIG Summer Internship Japan 2021 is that No IELTS/TOEFL is required. Undergraduates and Postgraduates are highly encouraged to apply for this Summer Internship in Japan.
- NIG will cover costs of airfare, local transportation fares between airport in Japan and NIG, lodging in the institute’s guesthouse, and travel insurance during the program. Allowance for meals (ca. 1,500JPY/day, subject to change) will also be provided.
- NIG will issue a certificate to those who have successfully completed the program.
- Interns can also participate in various activities such as graduate program lectures, journal clubs, and seminars by outstanding researchers from inside and outside of NIG.
- Applicants must be interested in life sciences and be in the prefinal-year at the time of application, i.e. in the 3rd year of a 4-year bachelor program, in the 2nd year of a 3-year bachelor program, in the 4th year of a 5-year program, in the 1st year of a 2-year master program, or in the 5th year of a 6-year program. Students who are interested in enrolling in the PhD program at NIG are encouraged to apply.
- Because of a highly competitive selection process, applications from non-prefinal students and prefinal students of a PhD course are not considered.
For registering for the opportunity applicants will have to fill up an online form. And before registering make sure you have the following documents:
- Letter of Motivation / Self advertisement
Within 500 English words
- Curriculum Vitae
In English. Includes education records starting from high school. Be sure to indicate your current academic year.
- Scanned Academic Transcript
Submit a latest undergraduate or postgraduate transcript that you can obtain. Please scan it and then upload. In case your Academic Transcript is prepared in languages other than English, attach an English or a Japanese translation to each document. Please combine them into a single file when you upload multiple documents by online application system.
In case an official academic transcript is not available due to the COVID-19 outbreak, as an alternative, documents like grade records can also be submitted.
- Two recommendation letters of your teachers
Must be entered by your recommenders through the recommender page of the online application system.
Application Deadline: January 7, 2021Application ClosedOfficial link