Internship with the Ministry of External Affairs
The internship programme provides an excellent opportunity for budding scholars to familiarize themselves with the process of formulation of foreign policy and its implementation by the Government of India.
Nature of engagement
Interns shall report to and work under close supervision of the concerned Head of Division (HOD) or Head of Mission (HOM)/Head of Post (HOP). They may be required to conduct research, write reports, analyze evolving developments, or carry out any other task entrusted to them by the HOD/HOM/HOP.
Duration of Internship
Interns can apply at any time of the year. The applicant will be informed about the start of their internship upon selection. Once selected, internship shall be for a period of one to six months. Extension, in exceptional cases, may be granted on a case-to-case basis for intern at MEA Headquarters only.
Internship Programme and Feedback
The internship programme at headquarters includes attachment with one of the Divisions in the Ministry. In addition, the programme shall include a briefing session with Administration Division on the structure and functioning of the Ministry. A certificate will be issued by Administration Division based on the recommendation of the Head of Division.
In Missions/Posts, internship programme shall include attachment with one of the Wings of the Mission/Post, and the intern shall have orientation session on the organization and functioning of the Ministry of External Affairs and working of the various Wings of Indian Missions/Posts. HOM/HOP shall issue the certificate in Mission/Post.
The interns may submit a report on completion of their internship to the Head of Division/Mission/Post. The intern may also submit his/her views and feedback on the internship programme to the concerned Head of Division/Mission/Post.
All applications will be scrutinized in the Ministry by a Selection Committee and intimation will be sent to selected candidates. The Selection Committee may conduct a personal interaction with the applicant and also verify original documents. The decision of the Selection Committee shall be final and binding and no queries shall be entertained after the completion of the selection process. Applicants are advised to apply at least four months before the intended date of start of the internship.
Number of interns in the Ministry
Approximately thirty interns will be engaged by the Ministry at a given point in time. Up to two interns may be engaged by Missions/Posts abroad.
- Understand the process of formulation of foreign policy and its implementation by the Government of India
- Necessary logistical support will be provided to interns taking into account the functional requirements.
- Internship programme for MEA Headquarters is open to Indian citizens only.
- Interested Indian citizens, OCI card holders and foreign nationals may apply for internship in Indian Missions and Posts abroad.
- For internship at Headquarters and in Missions/Posts, a candidate must be in the final year of an undergraduate course or possess a graduate degree before the commencement of internship. Preference may be given to applicants with excellent academic track record from institutions of repute and credible recommendations from faculty who have taught/guided them in the past, and also to research scholars.
- An intern must not have attained the age of 30 years on the date of application.
At MEA Headquarters, the applications may be sent to office of Joint Secretary (Administration) by registered/speed post, at the following address:
Joint Secretary (Administration)
Ministry of External Affairs
Room No.149 A, South Block
New Delhli – 110011.
An advance copy of the application with attachments may be sent by e-mail to [email protected] and [email protected] Query, if any, may be addressed to Under Secretary (FSP) at [email protected] with a copy to [email protected] Applications duly filled in and complete in all respect with required documents should reach at least four months before the commencement of the internship.
For internship in Indian Missions/Posts, applicants may send their applications to the Head of Chancery by post, at the Mission/Post’s address.Apply nowOfficial link