Applications for Wellcome Fellowship 2019/20 (August 2019 round) is now open!
This scheme aims to provide nationals of low- and middle-income countries the opportunity to receive training at Master’s degree level. The host organization must be situated in low- or middle-income countries (apart from India).
To get more exciting opportunities like this, at your fingertips, install the Youth Opportunities Mobile App here from your cellphone.
The Wellcome Fellowship is for 30 months unless the applicant wants to hold it on a part-time basis. The first 12 months should be dedicated to doing a taught Master of Science (MSc) course at a recognised centre of excellence anywhere in the world. The following 18 months is for the research project at an eligible organisation in a low- or middle-income country.
While submitting the research proposal, it should be kept in mind that the proposal should be within their (Wellcome’s) science remit and focus on a health priority in a low- or middle-income country.
While considering the application, the following areas will be looked at:
quality and importance of the research question(s)
- feasibility of the applicant’s approach to solving these problems
- suitability of choice of research environments
- suitability of the taught Master of Science (MSc) course the applicant selects – it should take place at a recognised centre of excellence and provide him/her with training that will complement his/her research project.
Choice of supervisor:
The applicant must have a supervisor who will be responsible for the day-to-day supervision of his/her research project. He/she should also have additional supervisors for each period that he/she spend outside your host organisation, including the taught course. They must agree to provide the space and resources the applicant will need.
A supervisor should:
- have an ongoing research programme
- have a strong track record in research, training and mentorship
- provide guidance during the application process and fellowship.
The selected candidates will be provided with an award of £120,000 which will provide:
- Support during the Master’s course (including a stipend, travel costs, approved tuition fees)
- Support during the fellowship (including a basic salary, personal removal expenses, research management and support costs, research expenses)
- For more information please visit the official link.
The applicants must meet the following eligibility requirements.
- Be a national of a low- or middle-income country
- The proposed research focuses on a health priority in a low- or middle-income country
- Have sponsorship from an eligible host organisation in a low- or middle-income country.
- Hold a clinical or non-clinical undergraduate degree in a relevant subject
- Be at an early stage in his/her career with limited research experience (but he/she must have demonstrated interest in, or aptitude for, research).
- Apply online through the given link. Please make sure to fill up all the sections in the application form.
- Upon completing the form, submit it to the host organisation. A person at the host organisation with the role of ‘authorised organisational approver’ will get an automated email from Wellcome asking them to review and submit the application.
Application Deadline: August 30, 2019Application ClosedOfficial link