VVEngage is a Vital Voices signature fellowship supporting outstanding women political leaders making and influencing policy across the globe. Through this fully-funded fellowship, we aim to increase the capacity, decision-making power and effectiveness of women leaders in politics and government, shifting culture around women’s public leadership and moving towards equality in public representation globally. We also aim to work towards a more inclusive and equitable world by advancing the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) through policy.
Through this fellowship, Vital Voices advances women’s political leadership and the SDGs by conducting online and in-person* trainings with experts such as women leaders from the Vital Voices Global Network and professors from Harvard University’s Kennedy School of Government. The fellowship also connects participants to a global network of peers and mentors, such as current and former female heads of state with the Council of Women World Leaders, with whom they can brainstorm and share challenges and best practices.
With the support of Freeport-McMoRan, this fully-funded fellowship aims to increase the capacity, decision-making power, and effectiveness of women leaders in public life, shifting culture around women’s public leadership and moving towards equality in public representation globally. VVEngage is an annual fellowship that provides technical skills, leadership development, and a powerful network of peers. Fellows will have access to online training from Vital Voices network leaders, mentoring by members from the Council of World Women Leaders, and professors from institutions such as Harvard University’s Kennedy School of Government.
This fellowship occurs annually, with their 2023 programming running from April to December of this year. Selected fellows are expected to participate in the full length of the fellowship including virtual trainings and events throughout the year. If health and travel restrictions allow, they will hold one in-person convening. The time commitment is an estimated eight hours per month.
By the end of the fellowship, fellows will:
- Hone their public leadership skills to be even more effective leaders
- Broaden their capacity, confidence, and ability to engage on diverse issues
- Build powerful professional relationships and collaborations with women public leaders across the globe
- Make progress towards achieving their personal and professional goals
- Inspire and teach others about the importance of women’s leadership in public life
- All fellow travel, meals and accommodation costs for the in-person gatherings will be covered in full by VVEngage.
All applicants must fall into one of these categories:
- Appointed or elected government official at the local, state/regional, national, or international level
- Political party leader or functionary
- Leader of civil society organization whose primary function involves working directly with government or working to get more women in politics/public life
- Political Activist
- Politically-active community leader from marginalized and excluded community that remains on the periphery of political activity in her country
- Media professional
In addition, all applicants must fit all of the following criteria:
- A minimum of three years in elected or appointed office, as the key decision-maker for a civil society organization, or in related political leadership work
- Proficient in English
- Demonstrate a commitment to the core principles of the “Vital Voices Leadership Model” – Innovative, collaborative, and driven by a clear sense of mission; engaged in her community; committed to working with different political ideologies; committed to advancing the status of women and girls; committed to transparency and good governance
- Demonstrated leadership ability, high potential for future leadership development
- Desire to engage with a global network of women in public life
- At minimum, a basic understanding of the policy-making process in your community
Eligible Regions: Open for All
- An online application form is to be submitted.
- In this application, the applicant will have the opportunity to share information about their work and background that demonstrate your suitability for the fellowship. After completing this application, finalists may be contacted for additional information.
Application Deadline: March 26, 2023 (5 Days Remaining)Apply nowOfficial link